Question about painting and installation code

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jah1010

Oct 3, 2020
Doylestown, PA
Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a used Osburn wood stove insert from a friend. I'm going to paint it before installing, which is my first question. As you see in the picture below, it has some brass trim, and I would like to paint that black as well as the rest of the cast iron. Do you think I need to scuff up the brass or prime it before painting it with stove paint, or should I paint it the same way as the rest of the stove?
Question about painting and installation code

My next question is about installation. I'm pretty handy, but I've never installed one before. I'm doing this with the help of a friend who is very handy, and has installed about 10 over the years. He's always used a single-walled liner. My chimney is terracotta with no liner, and I believe code requires an insulated liner of that's the case (though trying to confirm that). My only concern with an insulated liner is that the 6" pipe would now be 8" in diameter, and the chimney is 8x13, so I wonder how difficult it would be to get the insulated liner down that sized chimney.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you!