Question about old wood burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ginofav1

May 31, 2019
New Jersey
Just purchased a home with a huge wood stove ? In the barn . It appears to be in good condition ie not rot or heavy rust . Just trying to find some information about it
It’s big , hard to even explain
The door on it say EVER READY HP KINSEY CO. Easton PA
Any information would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 2A46399B-D0A3-41FC-A289-094FE928B930.jpeg
    2A46399B-D0A3-41FC-A289-094FE928B930.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 325
  • 095EC1DC-CD4D-4CCF-A056-FA35971110D7.jpeg
    095EC1DC-CD4D-4CCF-A056-FA35971110D7.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 326
Looks like a coal furnace without its outer jacket. HP Kinsey appears to still be in business.
999 Bushkill Drive, Easton PA 18042

How would one work this puppy ? Can I burn wood in it ? Or better idea to stick to coal . I see what you are saying about the outer jacket now .

The install looks very unsafe as well. You should not burn it at all untill that is addressed.

Oh boy really ? What looks unsafe ?
Galvanized pipe should not be used. That pipe is running downhill when it should be running up to some sort of homemade wall passtrough right over top of a work bench when that pipe needs 18" of clearance. And that is just the stuff that jumps out at me to start off

Reactions: paulnlee
I bet the whole space gets filled with smoke when you first light a fire on a cold start. I would def worry about carbon monoxide when running with that setup.. bad bad.. again get it away from the table, galvanized gives off poison fumes when heated but personally have seen my crazy family use them all season without a problem, not to say they won't develop lung cancer in a few years tho.. and you must have the flue in at least an uphill angle. good luck!

I'm guessing the line in the first photo isn't a crack (side of the firebox towards the top) since you said it was in good shape, but I had to point it out. If you can control the air going in, and fix the issues already pointed out (new pipe, etc.) you can burn wood. I've often burn wood in coal stove, but the stoves typically leak air in like a sieve so the wood burns faster. Curt