Question about Jotul flue height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cringer

Sep 15, 2018
Alberta
Hello everyone,

I have decided to have the dealer install our new Jotul F100. When I asked him about length of the flue, he said he is putting in a 14' flue; that Jotul recommends a minimum of 13' for our elevation. I am a little concerned by this as most posts on the forum say to not go below 15'. The manual for the F100 says 14' is the minimum height but then goes on to say that I should check with my local dealer who will be an expert on the subject.

I'm sure that our cold weather helps with the draft, but I would still like to use this stove in the shoulder seasons. Should I insist on 15' or 16', or trust my local dealer's direction? I also sent an email to Norway to see what head office recommends, since the manual doesn't say how elevation would affect their requirements. I haven't heard back yet.

The pipe will be double walled, top vented through the ceiling and roof, without any elbows. I live in Alberta Canada.

I appreciate anyone's two cents.

Chad

I would go with what your dealer tells you, since he has experience with this unit in your area.
A longer flue height WILL lead to a stronger draft & may suck all of the heat out of that small firebox before you get any heat.
Just my 2 cents (USD) & others may disagree.

Reactions: Ludlow and Cringer
Until you can get people to agree with where you measure from I wouldnt worry about it. Some say the floor, others say the top of the stove. What does your manual say? Go with that and think about something else more interesting.

Reactions: Cringer
I would go with what your dealer tells you, since he has experience with this unit in your area.
A longer flue height WILL lead to a stronger draft & may suck all of the heat out of that small firebox before you get any heat.
Just my 2 cents (USD) & others may disagree.

Good point about too much draft. 0.02USD?? That advice has twice the value of what I am accustomed to up here :)

The manual, and the dealer, (and the threads I have read), are talking about stove top to chimney cap.

The dealer is within the Manufacturer recommendations. I doubt they would short the stack a foot and have to deal with callbacks. Especially when the customer is paying for the pipe anyway. Id trust their experience on this one.

The dealer is within the Manufacturer recommendations. I doubt they would short the stack a foot and have to deal with callbacks. Especially when the customer is paying for the pipe anyway. Id trust their experience on this one.

That makes a lot of sense.

Most stoves require 15 to 16' chimney but not all. Some stove designs draft easier than others. If the flue is straight up, 14' should work fine with the F100. We had the F3CB on a 12' flue and it had no problem with draft.

Most stoves require 15 to 16' chimney but not all. Some stove designs draft easier than others. If the flue is straight up, 14' should work fine with the F100. We had the F3CB on a 12' flue and it had no problem with draft.

Good to know, I guess I only see the posts where people are having troubles with their flue. It's less common to start a thread just to say that 12' is enough...

That makes a lot of sense.

My brother has a raised hearth and exits out the roof of a low pitched addition. If he has 8 feet from the collar I'd be surprised. He burns 24/7 and yes in "shoulder season". His cheap TS stove burns like a mother and he has had zero problems. I think you will be very happy with your setup.

Just another thought here... You can always add a section if you feel its needed;)