Question about Englander Stirrer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cskelk

Nov 16, 2018
NJ
I purchased this unit used, and the guy who owned this before me used it for pellets. I read the manual and pressed both arrows down to ensure it is on pellets, and then moved to remove the stirrer, as advised by the owners manual.

My question: The set screw is ceased, and there is no way of getting the stirrer out. I even put heat to it, still no luck. Would you take a saw saw blade to the stirrer shaft?
I don’t plan on burning corn, I like having the stirrer, but essentially I can’t take the fire box out to clean it. What would you do?

I purchased this unit used, and the guy who owned this before me used it for pellets. I read the manual and pressed both arrows down to ensure it is on pellets, and then moved to remove the stirrer, as advised by the owners manual.

My question: The set screw is ceased, and there is no way of getting the stirrer out. I even put heat to it, still no luck. Would you take a saw saw blade to the stirrer shaft?
I don’t plan on burning corn, I like having the stirrer, but essentially I can’t take the fire box out to clean it. What would you do?

Update: I drilled out the set screw, but still couldn’t get the collar to release, so I took a metal saw blade to it, and removed the stirrer. Fired it back up and I’m much happier now that the stirrer is not blocking 1/2 the firebox.

Welcome to the Pellet Mill.
Unfortunately, you posted and replied before anyone was able to read and respond!
Weekdays are slow around here but evenings and weekends are active.

Bill

Before I fired my stove (mulit-fuel) for the first time I called Englander to ask some questions. I talked to a real helpful employee who gave me all kinds of operating tips, with one being to leave the stirrer in and the stove set to corn mode even though I'd be using wood pellets. I can't remember his exact reasoning, but had something to do with a more consistent burn and extending the life of the burn pot. Well, he was definitely right. I've tested the stove in both modes, with the stirrer in/out, and confirmed the stove operates much more efficiently with the stirrer in. The burn pot is also crack and warp free after four seasons.