Question about cable for back up battery on Quad MVAE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PelletGirl

Burning Hunk
Oct 25, 2014
Long Island, NY
With the storm that just passed, we are thinking of getting a cable for a back up battery for the stove. Luckily we didn't need it this time, but we try to be prepared. We saw the photos online and it looks like part of a battery cable with a plug on one side. Does anyone know if there is a way we can make one ourselves? It seems relatively simple, although not sure what gets plugged in where and what gets connected to what. Anyone know? Thanks!

I would be surprised that the manual doesn't show and explain that feature. I know of other stoves and they do tell of the procedure and give safety tips as well.

The alligator clips go on the battery, and there is a plugin on the back of the stove for the 3 spade connector. It is in your manual. Whether you buy one, or have one made, be sure to hook up to battery before plugging into stove, or you can toast electronics. kap

Is the three spade connector a basic or is it specially made for Quad? And which of the three parts connects to the positive cable and which to the negative? Can't make one if we don't know that.

It's an IEC320 C19/C20

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320#C19.2FC20_coupler

Should be able to source the connector fairly easily online. It's ridiculous what they try to charge for that.
Just make sure you wire it correctly.
There was a post that I replied to quite some time ago. In it I spelled out the correct connections. A search of the forum should turn it up. I dont feel like unplugging it to buzz out the wiring again.

Question about cable for back up battery on Quad MVAE

I had taken a screen shot of this way back cause I asked the question as well.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=301385740396

Thanks everyone! I think this gives my husband the information he needs.

I have one more question though... the ebay link is for an aftermarket cable - did anyone buy that actual cable?

How much is the cable? How much is your time worth? IF the cable costs $100.00 and your time is worth $50.00 per hour and it takes you two hours to build it, you've broken even. Case in point, I really didn't want to pay for the Quad OAK kit but after reading all that people were going through to fabricate them I decided that buying was cheaper overall than building. Just me.

The cable is $50 + shipping. Not sure how much it costs to make - that's my husband's domain. Thanks for the thoughts though - I will mention it to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.