Question about buildup in chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rudysmallfry

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Milford, CT
I have a question related to the particle size of the buildup in the chimney. I thought I was done burning for the season and had stopped a few weeks ago. Now more cold weather is coming later in the week, so I decided to give the stove another cleanout before firing it back up. Anyway, I've had this stove and same setup for 16 years. Hearthstone Heritage, double wall coming out of the top of the stove, right angle to wall thimble and 18' class A chimney. Until today, all I ever got out of the cleaning was less than a cup of very fine black powder. Today, not only was there far more buildup, the particles were quite a bit larger in size unlike the powder. I'd say about the size of rock salt. Nothing shiny so I'm good there, and yes some of the wood I burned this past season sucked, and I did finally replace my baffle which did decrease the draft more than I thought it would. That being said, does the size of the particles give any clue on what caused the buildup? There was probably more in there today that then entire past 16 years combined.

I have a question related to the particle size of the buildup in the chimney. I thought I was done burning for the season and had stopped a few weeks ago. Now more cold weather is coming later in the week, so I decided to give the stove another cleanout before firing it back up. Anyway, I've had this stove and same setup for 16 years. Hearthstone Heritage, double wall coming out of the top of the stove, right angle to wall thimble and 18' class A chimney. Until today, all I ever got out of the cleaning was less than a cup of very fine black powder. Today, not only was there far more buildup, the particles were quite a bit larger in size unlike the powder. I'd say about the size of rock salt. Nothing shiny so I'm good there, and yes some of the wood I burned this past season sucked, and I did finally replace my baffle which did decrease the draft more than I thought it would. That being said, does the size of the particles give any clue on what caused the buildup? There was probably more in there today that then entire past 16 years combined.
Did you clean the chimney or is this just stuff that fell down into the stove on its own?

But no size doesn't mean much it is texture and color that matters.

Yes, it's buildup that came loose while I was pulling the brush through. Still all black, just more dandruff flakes than powder this time.

Yes, it's buildup that came loose while I was pulling the brush through. Still all black, just more dandruff flakes than powder this time.
All black is what you want to avoid and flakes are generally not good either. What pipe temps were you running at? What moisture content was the wood at?

Probe thermometer 18" above stove was sitting around 400 most of the time. I did have quite a few bad pieces of wood that just wouldn't light and just sit there and smolder. I'm thinking it was White Oak. I had an older baffle that was apparently letting too much air through and had added a damper to control the burn. Now that I've replaced the baffle, I'm almost having problems getting enough draft, so maybe I'm just in a new learning curve. What color am I looking for if not black?

Probe thermometer 18" above stove was sitting around 400 most of the time. I did have quite a few bad pieces of wood that just wouldn't light and just sit there and smolder. I'm thinking it was White Oak. I had an older baffle that was apparently letting too much air through and had added a damper to control the burn. Now that I've replaced the baffle, I'm almost having problems getting enough draft, so maybe I'm just in a new learning curve. What color am I looking for if not black?
400 on a probe is pretty low for sure.

Gray is what you want. Black powder isn't bad but anything solid is going to be somewhat flammable the harder it gets the worse it is.

400 on a probe is pretty low for sure.

Gray is what you want. Black powder isn't bad but anything solid is going to be somewhat flammable the harder it gets the worse it is.
Really? 400 is low? It's dead middle of the "good burning" range on the thermometer.

Really? 400 is low? It's dead middle of the "good burning" range on the thermometer.
Really? On a probe thermometer? That is the bottom on normal on all the ones I have seen or sold

I'll have to take a look when I get home. If 400 is bottom of normal, isn't that good enough?

I'll have to take a look when I get home. If 400 is bottom of normal, isn't that good enough?
Yes the bare minimum which on a taller chimney probably isn't going to be enough to stay above the condensation point all the way out.

Nevermind yours is only 18 so not taller. I thought you had said it was more than that

I've never found anymore buildup near the top than the rest of the chimney. It's always been just a very thin even coating so I'm thinking that's a good sign it's staying warm enough all the way up. Maybe the probe isn't reading accurately. I didn't even think if that. I'll try another one and see if I get the same readings.

My probe thermometer has its bottom of the optimum operation range near 350 F. Fluegard from Condar.

I've never found anymore buildup near the top than the rest of the chimney. It's always been just a very thin even coating so I'm thinking that's a good sign it's staying warm enough all the way up. Maybe the probe isn't reading accurately. I didn't even think if that. I'll try another one and see if I get the same readings.
That is a good sign for sure. But something changed this year from what you said were your pipe temps consistent with previous years?