Question about Blaze King Sirocco 30.1

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MissMac

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2017
NW Ontario
Hey all - I’ve just installed a new Sirocco 30.1, and am trying to get it figured out to ensure it’s working like it should. Im hoping you all can answer a few outstanding questions for me. Firstly, is it normal to still get some smoke out the chimney when the catalyst is engaged on a med-low burn? I know there may be some water vapour, but there is still definitely a bit of smoke too. Secondly, how do you know where the lowest setting is for the t-stat that is working properly? Is it okay if it’s anywhere in the active range, or should it be up near the top when the stove is full of wood? I’d say the needle is about halfway in the active zone after I turn it down to med-low. If it’s helpful to know, I’m burning seasoned jack pine. Thanks for any advice you can give! Cheers!

The first step is to be sure your wood is dry into the specs recommended by manufacture, and that is 20% and under of MC. It is important that you do a hot burn after reloads to drive the moisture out of the wood, char the wood and set everything accord to your heat demand for a long, efficient burn.
About the thermostat question, it depends on your setup, draft, location, etc. you will need to play a little and find out what work for you depending on those details mentioned above. It has its learning curve like everything but it is not hard to find what work for you. You can try after you burn it on high for those 20-30 minutes recommended, dial it down till you hear a click sound that is the flapper closing down. You can get that as a point of reference and go from there depending if is too much heat or you need less heat to keep the warm you like/need.

Hope this help

The first step is to be sure your wood is dry into the specs recommended by manufacture, and that is 20% and under of MC. It is important that you do a hot burn after reloads to drive the moisture out of the wood, char the wood and set everything accord to your heat demand for a long, efficient burn.
About the thermostat question, it depends on your setup, draft, location, etc. you will need to play a little and find out what work for you depending on those details mentioned above. It has its learning curve like everything but it is not hard to find what work for you. You can try after you burn it on high for those 20-30 minutes recommended, dial it down till you hear a click sound that is the flapper closing down. You can get that as a point of reference and go from there depending if is too much heat or you need less heat to keep the warm you like/need.

Hope this help
Hey thanks! My wood is dry, and i run it on high for an hour before i start dialing it down. i'm following the manual to a tee, just to make sure that i'm doing things the way that i'm supposed to be. what is this click you're talking about? i hear my stove clicking from time to time, but turning it down until i hear a click - what exactly is the purpose of that and what does it mean?

I don't know if yours will be audible but in mine including if is dead cold you can hear a sound at the point the thermostat flapper closes. Move the dial one way and then to the other way and you should hear/notice when it open and close. Try to find that spot when you ready to dial it for a long run and see where it shuts and get that like a point of reference as mentioned before.