Quadrafire trekker

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

steevo

Oct 17, 2011
central ct
Searched and didn't find much as in reviews...
Can get a great deal on a trekker free standing stove. Last year's floor display.... played with the Bluetooth a little, wasn't to bad.... anybody have 1 for the last year or so give me yoyr thoughts....

Thanks
Steve

I've heard that it has had problems with misfires, waking up in morning and blue tooth thing isn't working like it should.

I've had the Bluetooth unit for 2 years now. Stove is awesome. BT interface terrible. I'm on my 3rd BT interface.
New trekkers now have standard controls.
Into my 3rd heating season with the Trekker and zero Bluetooth device issues. I resolved some persistent feed issues by realigning my exhaust temp probe as it appears the stove was not establishing or maintaining proof of fire. Zero communications errors (error #10). What problems have you been having with the interface?

I ran a 9' extension cable from the USB port on the rear of the stove to get the bluetooth key out from behind the stove and up in the clear. This greatly improved the range of the signal and lowered my RSSI from -70 to -50.

It is extremely convenient to check the status of the stove by looking at the device. No need to run wires or interpret flashing green or red light patterns through a hole on the side of the stove. All details except error codes are stated in plain English. Standard and advanced controls are conducted by pressing and briefly holding the outside ring then turning the dial. I was attracted to the Trekker due to the bluetooth capability.

The device does seem fragile though, and the device's manual directs that you bend a paperclip a certain way to safely remove the CR2477 disc battery. Randomly prying the battery out with a knife or screwdriver will surely damage the battery holder and result in the battery falling out of the device.

Something that not stated in the manual is that you have to be patient after changing or installing the battery as the device is a mini-computer that takes time to boot up. This boot-up can take a while - patience! My original battery lasted two seasons and still had life in it when I elected to start this season with a fresh battery.

A Trekker without Bluetooth is really just an slightly older model Mt Vernon E2. Most parts are interchangeable. Another name for the Trekker is "Mt Vernon E2-C" as indicated on the rear plate.

Overall it's good to know that there is now a wired thermostat for those who prefer that tech.

Reactions: maraakate