Quadrafire Santa Fe woes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rickety Jim

Nov 12, 2019
WI
First post here.
I rent and there's a QF SF stove here. Maintenance guy came by, cleaned and checked it out. Said it's good to go.

Huge flames. I cleaned everything I can get at. Set feed adjustment rod as low as it will go (per manual). Still ridiculously big flames. The only success I've had in keeping lower flames was to have the hopper entirely empty and only put one small scoop of pellets in at a time (I can see the auger). Door gasket is in rough shape (frayed in multiple spots).

It feeds pellets constantly until temp at thermostat is satisfied. Red light above the fuse (call light?) is always on until thermostat kicks the unit off.

Exhaust fan runs at all times, even if I turn the thermostat all the way down and let everything burn out.

Exhaust pipe is out through the wall and has about a 2-3" drop in height from stove to wall plate.

Where to start? Is this even safe? We only have electric baseboard heaters as a backup. That will cost a fortune.

TIA
-Rickety

I would have the service man come back and finish the job. And pellet stoves will feed almost constantly till tstat is satisfied. When stove is shut off, the exhaust fan will run for about 15 minutes to make sure fire is out and all smoke is gone. What color control box does it have? And what number is the dial set at? It should be 6 for your stove. And make sure to unplug stove before you ever remove or install a control box, or you run the risk of toasting it. And if you don't have an owners manual, i would download one off of Quads website. kap

Problem is, if you turn it on medium or low, it will feed so much that the fire pot will fill to the top and then pellets stack up on the feed ramp. That can't be right.

Control box has a clear cover (I'm at work right now, will update when I get home). I don't recall there being any dial on it, but I'll look.

I have a manual I printed.
Thanks for the reply.
-Rickety

It feeds pellets constantly until temp at thermostat is satisfied.

Do you mean that the stove feeds pellets continuously or that it feeds for a couple of seconds, pauses, then feeds again?

No that isn't right. Check dial when you get home. Also make sure pot floor is closed all the way and that there is no more then a dimes width at the backside. Also make sure all pot holes are clear, esp the 4 in angle of pot and in pot front. Are you getting any blow by under pot? Is there a gasket under it that is in good shape? When you check dial, we can do a timing on feeds. Could be your control box also. just need to go thru the list. kap

Quadrafire Santa Fe woes

I cannot find any dial on it.

There is a white gasket under the fire pot (between the lip and the bottom of the firebox) that appears to be intact.

The clean out plate doesn't have a gap bigger than a dime.

The holes in the pot get obscured/blocked with ash and pellets almost immediately.

Right across from the red call light is the white dial. There is a v notch that has the number in it. kap

That little flathead screw?
Ohh! Ok. That's a tiny number. Probably unplug it before turning that?

Last edited:
Yes. What is it on now?

Ya, unplug stove and put it on 6. Then plug stove back in and see how many blue lights flash to make sure. Should be 6 blue flashes every 10 seconds for 60 seconds. Let us know. kap

Reactions: Ssyko
Ok. Fire it up and see what happens

Someone must have changed it at one time. It was set for a cb1200 plus 10%, which uses more fuel. Now you have to set your flame height per your manual you downloaded, and you should be set to go. And I would also read that manual a few times to get to know your stove. Might save you some headaches down the road. Glad to help. Stay warm. kap

That's so great. We're super appreciative of your knowledge and willingness to share it. I've read the manual at least once pulling my hair out. Definitely going to reread it and keep it handy. Thanks again!
-Rickety

No problem. And remember, a clean stove is a happy stove. kap