Quadrafire Classic Bay 1200i Feed Gate Adjustment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xSpecBx

Sep 17, 2014
Ledyard, CT
I have a CB 1200i burning okanagan gold. I have found that to get the flame to the required height I need to have the feed gate adjustment fully open. Does these seems normal?

How consistent should the flame be? It will be in the 4" to 6" range then the flame will get smaller (maybe 2" or 3") than go back to the required height when more pellets get fed in. This makes sense to me since the pellets are burning then being added. Just want to make sure. im new to this so I have no clue what is normal and what isn't.

The flame will fluctuate to those measurements. Sounds normal. Having to have the feed adj. rod open all the way doesn't. Lot depends on the pellets being burned though. Curious as to what number setting your control box is on? kap

Typically the longer the average pellet length the more open the feed gate needs to be to achieve the correct flame height, which on the high setting should be in the 4 - 6" range above the fire pot. And yes, the flame will normally fluctuate in height as the auger feeds the pellets at a somewhat variable rate.

Oakie pellets, when I burned them weren't inordinately long, but they were pretty dusty with lots of fines. Perhaps the bottom of the hopper at the auger pick-up area is full of sawdust and smaller pellet fines that are reducing the amount of regular - sized pellets that your auger can move ?

Reactions: kappel15
I vacuum my pellets so dust should be minimal, but I will run what's left it the hopper and clean it out.

As for the control box setting, I have the clear control box and the small white knob on the front appears to be on 1. What should this be set do and what affect would a different number have?

Over the years, depending on the pellet length I have had to run my feed gate on both stoves sometimes all the way open and other times all the way to its minimum opening. I even elongated the slot to get more opening for the really long pellets. As Kap said, pellet length makes a BIG difference but pellet density will also affect where you run the gate. If the density is low, you need to feed more pellets to get the same flame height.

I vacuum my pellets so dust should be minimal, but I will run what's left it the hopper and clean it out.

As for the control box setting, I have the clear control box and the small white knob on the front appears to be on 1. What should this be set do and what affect would a different number have?
Yours should be on 1. Different numbers are for different stoves, and different feeds. kap

I will get a mirror up there tonight and see if there is a clump of fines or blockages. I had a couple bags of LaCretes and I had the feed rate adjustment around where it came from the factory, but the okie's seems to be a little longer. I get a nice lively flame, just seemed odd to me that the feed rate adjustment needed to be wide open to get the required flame. I had a similar issue when I burned a couple bags of Stove Chow. I know there is some saw dust built up as I can feel it when I shift the pellets down to the auger, but it should be minimal. We've haven't been running the stove full time with oil prices coming down so I haven't been as diligent as I was earlier filling the hopper.

There is a lot of variables in different brands of pellets. Sometimes just in different batches. kap

I will get a mirror up there tonight and see if there is a clump of fines or blockages. I had a couple bags of LaCretes and I had the feed rate adjustment around where it came from the factory, but the okie's seems to be a little longer. I get a nice lively flame, just seemed odd to me that the feed rate adjustment needed to be wide open to get the required flame. I had a similar issue when I burned a couple bags of Stove Chow. I know there is some saw dust built up as I can feel it when I shift the pellets down to the auger, but it should be minimal. We've haven't been running the stove full time with oil prices coming down so I haven't been as diligent as I was earlier filling the hopper.
The adjustment range is there for a reason. :) 'Use it if you got it'

Thanks for the help. I will take a look at the couple items mentioned. I would think the most important factor is that I'm getting a good lively flame that meets the requirements specified by quadrafire.

X2. Stay warm and happy.

Sounds like you have it adjusted ok.

You certainly can close the feed gate if you choose. As long as the flame is active in the burnpot and not fizzling out inbetween auger cycles youll be fine. Most pellets I burn will only make a flame outside the burn pot now and then on low and medium. If I open the feed gate all the way its balls hot.

Just goes to show the difference in pellet brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.