Quadrafire Classic Bay 1200 FS damper and OAK??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Does anyone have this Damper for the Quadra-Fire Classic Bay 1200? How about an OAK? (Outside Air Kit)

I saw this about the air damper in a review of the classic bay
From >> http://www.wiseheat.com/reviews/8901/Quadra-Fire-Classic-Bay-1200
Review: Quadra-Fire Classic Bay 1200
Reviewed February 28, 2011 by 80lbs a day

Overall Performance: 2 Star - **

Efficiency: Rating: 1 Star - Very poor - *

Ease of Use: 3 Star - ***

Quadra-Fire Classic Bay 1200
Still burn to many pellets. They say to reduce the air flow needs a damper. When you get this thing installed, make sure that you have a damper on it. Quadra what's to charge $136.00 for there part. So watch out. To me they should just make it a part of the stove.

Some people are just fab'ing up their own collar for the OAK, much cheaper than Quads price for it.

Ask Ken I think he has the dimensions.

The "Damper" they refer to is the OAK. That what cost that much money.

A lot of new owners of stoves are pretty oblivious to the correct terminology. This seems to be the case. I wouldn't want a damper installed on mine. As a drop in air, will cause a build up of ash.

Having a Bad Door gasket last year showed me what a little leak can do. Daily shutdowns to clean pot. If you looked at the Fire. You would never notice a difference. But the stove knew....

Anyways. I wouldnt dare put one on. It didnt come with one and Quad only sells an OAK. No damper kit anywhere in there part #'s.

DexterDay said:

A lot of new owners of stoves are pretty oblivious to the correct terminology. This seems to be the case. I wouldn't want a damper installed on mine. As a drop in air, will cause a build up of ash.

Having a Bad Door gasket last year showed me what a little leak can do. Daily shutdowns to clean pot. If you looked at the Fire. You would never notice a difference. But the stove knew....

Anyways. I wouldnt dare put one on. It didnt come with one and Quad only sells an OAK. No damper kit anywhere in there part #'s.

Thanks Ken

How does your OAK work on the Quad? Where did you connect it?

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Quadrafire Classic Bay 1200 FS damper and OAK??
    CB1200OAK.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 411
Don2222 said:
DexterDay said:

Thanks Ken

How does your OAK work on the Quad? Where did you connect it?

Works just like an OAK should I guess. Pulls air in from outside?

I hooked it up with the kit from Quad. Wasn't cheap. Think I gave $100-$120 on Ebay (not sure) Goes in through the floor right next to the Combustion blower on the lower left hand side of stove. The air goes into that "Hearth Pad) and then travels up a channel in the middle of stove (looks like a box if you look in between the sides of the stove (behind fire pot). It then comes into the area where the ignitor is (you can see the area where it comes from in the back of the ignitor/clean-out linkage area). Next stop is through the burn pot.

If you follow your way through the pot, you will find the way out and vice versa from the back where it starts. Knowing how the air comes into the stove and how and where the exhaust passageways area, is vital to the proper maintenance and also a better knowledge of how and why the stove does what it does. In my opinion.

Every stove I got. I took apart and found how the air came in and how the exhaust got out. Lets me become one with the stove. So I can find its "Zen".. :lol:

I crushed the OAK vent coming through the little hole you have to cut out. No room at all... I ended up cutting the hole larger. But had no excess vent. So had to deal with the ugly crushed stuff. But with the door closed. No one can see it (except you and the rest of Hearth now) ;-P

I also sealed the holes in the floor or "pad" of stove (shipping holes and little holes) and also the gaps where the air travels from under the stove to the area the pot sits in. Its a channel that runs up the back of the firewall. Accessed from opening both doors and sealing the sides and top. Mine had some pretty big gaps. This helps me just draw air from outside. Might not help much. But I did it anyways. Sealed as many gaps and holes as I could. Along with the hole.in the back wall where the ignitor and thermocouple wires come through.

Attachments

oak.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 446
    oak2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 479
Hello

Thanks Dexter for all your info.

I only had the stove running for 2 days but I really ramped up to speed with your help. Thanks so much!

My stove does not have the knock out on the back like the newer manual shows in my pic in the prior post.

See pic of my stove back below:

My manual says to purchase the Quad rear screen with the Pre-Cut hole for the OAK!! LOL

I also found that since it just got down to 32 Deg F outside that the Lux DMH110 "Wide" Swing setting of 0.75 Deg just bearly cuts it. I mean that after the stove satisfies the T-Stat it goes thru the shut down. The fire goes out, then the Combustion fan stops and after that the Convection fan stops. Then in less than a min it fires back up again because the red light is on and the T-Stat is calling for heat again.

I have 2 options here.
1. A programable T-Stat with a march larger Swing setting. Should be more like 2 Deg.
However the manual one works well for the shed. I know, the Prog can be set for Manual if I really have to.

2. Insulate the Shed. That is what I really should do!! LOL

Attachments

CB1200NoOAKconnectionSC.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 355
Hello Dexter

Thanks again for your pic! I would not have found it so quickly!! See my pic below!

There is a hole for the Quad OAK connector flange! Thanks

Should I be seeing my Hearth tiles??

Attachments

CB1200HoleForOAKflangeSC.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 432
Yes. You should see the tiles. The OAK is open to the bottom hearth pad. The air goes under the stove to the channel in my other pic.

As for the On and Off cycles. Yes. A 2° or 3° swing is best. With only 1° or less. This stove will cycle a LOT!!!! I would suggest a better stat or run it constantly (but being in a shed prob not justified because you are not out there all the time).

But that is the correct hole. You can make a homemade flange or collar for much cheaper than what Quad sells it for. The vent and outside hood are common on all stoves. Your paying $100 for basically the Collar that mounts to the floor of the stove.

Hello

Thanks again For All That Info! The Quad is the best stove I have seen that works off a T-Stat!!!!

Yes, I do not heat the shed in the real cold at night so much. So the manual T-Stat will be fine.

Just shut the stove down for the night. Used about 1/4 bag of pellets for the day to keep it 70 Deg all day!! See pic

Attachments

TRHShedPSt-statOnSwitchInHouseSC.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 341
Status
Not open for further replies.