Quadrafire Classic Bay 1200 FS Ash Pan has no gasket?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I hear that there should be a gasket on the ash pan? Does anyone have pics of that?

Attachments

• Quadrafire Classic Bay 1200 FS Ash Pan has no gasket?
    CB1200AshPan (1)SC.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 642
    CB1200AshPan (2)SC.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 698
Dont remember if its a 3/8" or 7/16" round gasket. But a 1/16" isnt gonna make a difference in gasket diameter.

But you DO need an ash pan gasket.

Here are a couple pics. Its applied to the ash pan.

Attachments

ash1.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 727
    ash2.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 647
smwilliamson said:
Quad ash bins are separated from the burn chamber to the sides of the burnpot....so it will not matter if you have a gasket or not unless you loose power...

On the Mt. Vernon, Santa Fe, and Castille it wont matter. Its a burn pot with a flat top.

But the CB 1200 is the ONLY stove that Has a gasket on the ash pan and does matter. The sides are wide open and you can see the ash. The ash from the pot actually makes it way to the ash pan.

On all others. Its there just for the clean-out. Not the Classic Bay.

DexterDay said:
smwilliamson said:
Quad ash bins are separated from the burn chamber to the sides of the burnpot....so it will not matter if you have a gasket or not unless you loose power...

On the Mt. Vernon, Santa Fe, and Castille it wont matter. Its a burn pot with a flat top.

But the CB 1200 is the ONLY stove that Has a gasket on the ash pan and does matter. The sides are wide open and you can see the ash. The ash from the pot actually makes it way to the ash pan.

On all others. Its there just for the clean-out. Not the Classic Bay.
ahhh yes... older mt vernons too if I'm correct.

WOW!!! That ash pan is huge!!! My CB1200i pan is 1/4 the size of that. Oh and no gasket. But it does have a ash pan door. :)

mralias said:
WOW!!! That ash pan is huge!!! My CB1200i pan is 1/4 the size of that. Oh and no gasket. But it does have a ash pan door. :)

Is there a gasket around the ash pan door?

Free Standing units have bigger hoppers and ash pans.

BTW, There is a small black rubber gasket on the ash pan!! I could not see it at night!!
The newer stoves have the flat white rope gaskets around the ash pan like Dexters!!

See pic below!

Attachments

CB1200AshPan (3)SC.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 423
Does that gasket go all the way around Don?

If it doesnt. Then you still need a gasket. It has to go all the way around.

The 1200 insert doesnt have open sides like the Freestanding unit. So its ash pan doesnt need a gasket.

The freestanders are open and need a gasket. Its not a flat gasket either. Its a 3/8" or 7/16" round gasket. Goes around the entire ash pan. Without it, your stove will have a Giant leak and not operate properly.

The motors may have changed on the auger. But the Main chassis of the stove is the exact same from its inception. The gaskets and everything are the same.

Just sayin

mralias said:

Inserts are a compromise.

With no gasket it will leak air, how much ?????

Hey Don.....

The gasket info is on page 4 of the parts PDF you sent me.

Pre serial # 360824, the Ash pan gasket part # is 812-3880
Post serial #360824 the part # is 844-6730 (7/16" gasket/round).

Just an FYI...

DexterDay said:
Does that gasket go all the way around Don?

If it doesnt. Then you still need a gasket. It has to go all the way around.

The 1200 insert doesnt have open sides like the Freestanding unit. So its ash pan doesnt need a gasket.

The freestanders are open and need a gasket. Its not a flat gasket either. Its a 3/8" or 7/16" round gasket. Goes around the entire ash pan. Without it, your stove will have a Giant leak and not operate properly.

The motors may have changed on the auger. But the Main chassis of the stove is the exact same from its inception. The gaskets and everything are the same.

Just sayin

Hi Dexter

Yes, that gasket does go all the way around! It is still rubbery so it is all set. Thanks again for your help!!
Just picked up another can of 1200 Deg F Satin Black Stove Bright Spray paint. I had 1/4 left in the first can and went thru a whole can and I am on my 3rd can. That is just for the outside!!. The inside is all Flat Black 2000 Deg F Header Paint from the auto store!!

I also used alot of Acetone to clean the old paint after the steel brushing, before applying the new paint.

So Dexter, what kind of paint did you use on your stove?

Dont remember whether it was Stove Bright or High Temp BBQ paint.
Because it was the inside of the firebox and it gets burned off after the first few fires, I dont think it truly matters. It could be a standard black paint. Wont last long in that environment.

If I was to ever paint the outside, I think I would do like a Dark Brown, Burgundy, or maybe an Ivory White. Whatever color I chose, it would be a Stove Bright color.

As for the gasket. I dont think thats a factory gasket? Shouldnt be made of rubber. That and the manual states its a regular gasket (7/16" rope). Dont know how well that will work.

Sounds like that was some idea the Previous owners had?? But do what you want. As hot as that area gets, (exposed area of firebox, subjected to high temps) I personally wouldn't want rubber used. Unless I knew it was a High temp closed cell rubber.

Looking forward to pics...

DexterDay said:
Dont remember whether it was Stove Bright or High Temp BBQ paint.
Because it was the inside of the firebox and it gets burned off after the first few fires, I dont think it truly matters. It could be a standard black paint. Wont last long in that environment.

If I was to ever paint the outside, I think I would do like a Dark Brown, Burgundy, or maybe an Ivory White. Whatever color I chose, it would be a Stove Bright color.

As for the gasket. I dont think thats a factory gasket? Shouldnt be made of rubber. That and the manual states its a regular gasket (7/16" rope). Dont know how well that will work.

Sounds like that was some idea the Previous owners had?? But do what you want. As hot as that area gets, (exposed area of firebox, subjected to high temps) I personally wouldn't want rubber used. Unless I knew it was a High temp closed cell rubber.

Looking forward to pics...

Hi Dexter
The paint inside the firebox does make a difference. Stove Paint and BBQ paint is only rated for 1200 Deg F. I used the 2,000 Deg F header paint for car exhaust headers on the Pelpro and none of it burned off!! That paint is good stuff!! Very High Heat!! You may want to try it next time??

This Paint is Flame Proof and will NOT burn off. They use it on JET Engines!! See pic Below:
http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/flameproof/

VHT FLAMEPROOFâ„¢ COATING

VHT FlameProof™ Coating will renew and extend the life of any surface exposed to extremely high temperatures. This unique coating is a matte finish, silicone ceramic base widely used by the automotive industry on exhaust systems and the aerospace industry for jet engines, re-entry vehicles and other high temperature applications. VHT FlameProof™ Coating will withstand temperatures up to 2000°F (1093°C) and is ideal for use on headers, exhaust systems, or wherever an extreme temperature coating is needed.

Temperature: 1300°F-2000°F (704°C-1093°C)

Applications: Headers, Exhaust Manifolds, Piston Domes, Inside Heads

Finish: Flat

Dry Time: Curing time required and can be done on or off vehicle (see below)
Curing FlameProofâ„¢

VHT FlameProofâ„¢ Coating only attains its unique properties after correct curing (refer to instructions on the can).
On the Vehicle

Paint must be completely dry before curing
Run at idle for 10 minutes
Cool for 20 minutes
Run at idle for 20 minutes
Cool for 20 minutes
Run under normal operating conditions for 30 minutes

Off the Vehicle

Paint must be completely dry before curing
Heat to 250°F (121°C) for 30 minutes
Cool for 30 minutes
Heat to 400°F (204°C) for 30 minutes
Cool for 30 minutes
Heat to 650°F (343°C ) for 30 minutes

Caution: Do not exceed the temperature of the least heat tolerant component or the base metal
Coating System

VHT provides a multi-high performance coating system for the ultimate in protection and quality. The system includes surface preparation, primer, paint and clear coat.
Prep SP445 Prep Spray
Prime SP118 FlameProofâ„¢ Primer
Coat SPXXX FlameProofâ„¢ Color
Finish SP115 FlameProofâ„¢ Clear

Attachments

VHTCarHeaderPaintSc.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 280
The temp is one thing. But the Caustic from the ashes and just the overall environment inside a firebox is another.

I doubt there is a firebox that stays Black and has factory paint after the 1st season, let alone the 1st month. The conditions inside the box are Harsh to say the least. I put a few coats on mine and its not exactly perfect and black as of right now.

Those paints are designed for exterior surfaces. To withstand heat. Your Firebox will look pretty. Even after a few fires (so you can use it before you sell it). But it wont remain like that for long. Even header paint wears over time. And a flames average temp is 1,500° (give or take 500°).

I will continue to paint and oil every Spring when I shut them down. But it's just.to prevent the rust and deterioration of the the steel. The black turns to an ashy grey after a few fires. So I disagree with you on the paint. Yours may last a "little" longer. But no paint will last within the box. None.

Add High Heat, with Ash, and then add some moisture from your OAK when the stove is off.... Wa-Laa.. Rust and Corrosion in the off season.

Not trying to rain on your party. Just dont have to high of hopes. Your selling it. It will last long enough for a perspective buyer to see a clean inside. But this time next year.. No glossy black.

When your finished. It will look great though. . .

Good luck Don... Now post some pics.

Attachments

index-9.jpeg
    14.5 KB · Views: 300
    index-8.jpeg
    12 KB · Views: 318
    index-20.jpeg
    14.5 KB · Views: 319
    index-10.jpeg
    13.8 KB · Views: 328
Status
Not open for further replies.