Quadrafire CB 1200

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

Spaz

May 3, 2024
Nova Scotia
This is an on going problem. This stove will only start on high. It doesn't drop enough pellets on low or medium to get it hot enough to start the drop more pellets mode. I'm assuming it is because it's not getting hot enough. I switch to high when it started to go out and it drops more pellets and away it goes. Is it maybe the thermocouple?

When I started it this morning, from the start it was running and blowing with in 20 minutes. On medium at 13 minutes it hadn't dropped any more pellets and was going out. Switched to high and away it went. ( That was last night) Hope that helps.

Have you tried to adjust the feed rate, inside hopper? Have you ever cleaned out hopper of fines and dust?

[Hearth.com] Quadrafire CB 1200

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: johneh
It sounds like the proof of fire switch is not working or is very dirty the "thermocouple"

Reactions: ARC
Make sure the thermocouple is inserted far enough and touching the end of the ceramic cover over it. If it isn't making good contact, the thermocouple may not be seeing the correct temperatures.

Okay thanks. I'm also believing that it could be dust in the pellets although with these pellets haven't had any complaints from any one else. Are these models known for getting jammed up by dust? As I mentioned earlier the stove was completely clean at the end of the season this is bag 3 of this year. I've also seen posts where people couldn't get it to fire up on low, because of low flow in start up.

Man, that guys got a really filthy pot. Mines now where near jammed up like that. 👍
I decided to try and recreate the issue. I started on medium to see how the pellets dropped and it was 5 out 5 successful starts. So that eliminates a lack of pellets getting to the pot. I did get close to the bottom of pellet bin and I have posted a picture of the contents. Perhaps some one can tell me what there thoughts are regarding dust in the pellets.

I just installed a branch new CB1200-C and am having a very similar sounding issue. Since the stove is brand new, everything is completely clean. Before installing the stove the entire chimney was cleaned as well. As far as I can tell, it just doesn't seem like the stove drops in enough pellets on Low or Medium. I adjusted the stove per the manual "4 to 6 inches above the fire pot" on the high burn mode and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

OP, if you happen to to have any pictures of your burn pot after the ignition fails, it would be interesting to compare notes.

Attached is a picture of my burn pot after a failed ignition:

I just installed a branch new CB1200-C and am having a very similar sounding issue. Since the stove is brand new, everything is completely clean. Before installing the stove the entire chimney was cleaned as well. As far as I can tell, it just doesn't seem like the stove drops in enough pellets on Low or Medium. I adjusted the stove per the manual "4 to 6 inches above the fire pot" on the high burn mode and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

OP, if you happen to to have any pictures of your burn pot after the ignition fails, it would be interesting to compare notes.

View attachment 330768
Mine actually burn, but go out before the second stage kicks in. Mines also a year old. And I'm on try # 6 and it's still working.

View attachment 330768
As for your picture, either the pellets are wet or junk. Or the ignitor isn't getting hot enough. That amount looks about right for start up. Mine smokes like crazy for about 30 seconds then away it goes. Maybe post the type of pellets your using and some one can comment and their quality.

As for your picture, either the pellets are wet or junk. Or the ignitor isn't getting hot enough. That amount looks about right for start up. Mine smokes like crazy for about 30 seconds then away it goes. Maybe post the type of pellets your using and some one can comment and their quality.
Earlier this afternoon I tested my theory about there simply not being enough pellets. I pressed reset without clearing the pellets that didn't burn on the first ignition and as you say they "smoked like crazy" and then lit.

As far as the quality of the pellets, it is always possible that they are bad but once the stove is burning, they burn very well. The pellets are: "American Wood Fibers Ultra Premium Softwood Pellets". I burned them for several years in my previous stove (Englander 25-PDV) and had no issues or failed ignitions. One interesting attribute of these pellets is that they are not very long -- I wonder if they are are getting blown away from the igniter or something.

It would be nice if the CB1200 had an additional setting to add more pellets just on start-up or something. I have done a fair amount of reading about this stove and have not come across any adjustments for it as far as pellet feed other than the adjustment rod that exists in the hopper.

It would be nice if the CB1200 had an additional setting to add more pellets just on start-up or something. I have done a fair amount of reading about this stove and have not come across any adjustments for it as far as pellet feed other than the adjustment rod that exists in the hopper.

And just to follow up, mine hasn't failed to start up since I started my testing on medium. Sounds like I need a technician to look into mine. A sudden stoppage at 3am on a 10 degree day proves to be very chilly.

Last edited:
Where is this box located, I don't have any lights on mine other then the orange "on" light?
It appears to be in the pellet hopper on the right hand side (as you look at the front of the stove) underneath a cover to keep pellets/dust out. I was busy with work today and did not have a chance to look at mine -- but I did find this YouTube video that shows the control board being replaced on an older iteration of the CB1200:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

At the moment, with my stove set to High burn mode it starts every time and runs well -- I still want to troubleshoot why it doesn't start on Low or Medium -- but at least it will keep the house warm while I'm at work for the time being. I will report back once I've had time to play around with the stove more.

Trending content