Quadrafire Castile issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eran

Jan 22, 2019
Eranaviv
Hello everyone
First time posting- I’ve been always able to find answers just by searching but couldn’t this time.
I’ve noticed in the last few days that my stove gets “jammed” - in the sense that it doesn’t light up- but with quite a lot of pellets in the pot. I obviously had misfires when the pot gets caked with ash or too full but never like that.
Took me a few days to realize what was going on when today I noticed that while it was trying to light up, the pellets were continuously dropping, making it much harder for it to light up- and I guess occasionally just smothering it while trying.
usually it just drops an initial batch and then waits for the fire to light up before starting to feed the fire.
would anyone have a solution or a reason for that to happen? I’ve had it for 10 years with many different problems but never that one.
thanks in advance

You are correct it should not have a steady feed. You can try unplugging the stove and remove and reinstall the control box. It may just need a reset and good connection. But it may be the control board itself. Is it on a good surge protector?

Thanks Ssyko,
I’ll keep an eye and may follow your suggestion if it continues. It’s not even consistent- most times it doesn’t continuously feed but when it does it explains why I see a lot of pellets when there’s a misfire as opposed to a smaller batch in the past.
just can’t understand why it would happen occasionally and not all the time if there was indeed a problem with the control box.

OK,now the problem is different,from your first post.Information is the key.try to provide info proper.Describe all conditions,all incidentes when problem occurs,

So in the past few days I got to my stove a few times and it was full of unlit pellets- much more then when normally it just doesn’t ignite. Didn’t think much of it- thought maybe someone in the family just pressed the restart button without cleaning the pot and ended up having twice the amount of initial pellet load.
today, coincidentally, I actually was around in the process of ignition and noticed that while smoking and trying to ignite, pellets continued to drop in intervals of a few seconds- as if it was already ignited- as opposed to nothing dropping in the ignition stage. Smoke was building up and while getting smothered by more pellets, it still ended up igniting- though after a good fight. I suspect that’s what happened multiple times in the past few days.
after that cycle, I cleaned the pot and in the next cycle it just started as it normally does- no pellets dropping during the ignition stage and only starting to drop once temperature got to the right point.

I would try Ssyko's recommendation and see if that helps. Dirty or loose contacts to the control board will do strange things.