quadrafire 800 misfires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny77

Jan 4, 2016
Hoodsport, washington
have had this stove since `1996 trouble is, misfires, have to push reset button most of the time to start,. if pellets drop and stop the stove will light but sometimes the pellet just keep dropping and have to turn off to remove the excess pellets in the pot . turn back on and hit reset button
stove will light. I have run out of ideas. replaced control box thermocoupler and cover, new igniter have cleaned the pot did the paper test on the door. I did notice that sometimes the igniter only gets hot for 2 min. then other times stays on for 1o min.
this is our only source of heat, any ideas? thanks for any help

Most every issue you are talking about is run by the control box. Have you tried unplugging stove and reseating control box in case it has vibrated loose a tad?

yes , have removed box and reset, have same issue with other control box, put new box in thinking that might the trouble, stove has started twice in past hour, pellets stop dropping and lights right. 3time today the pellets keep on dropping. again had to clean out excess pellets then pushed reset button to light

Did you get the right control box? # 812-0261 ? And did you unplug stove when removing or installing the boxes? You can short them out otherwise. And when they keep feeding, are you sure that it didn't just get a slow start and then smother? kap

yes have right control box, when the stove drops a handful of pellets and stops then it lights. but some times it just keeps droping pellets and does not light. I just took out the new control box and put in the old one. so far it has lighted twice. will wait and see what happens.

Are you unplugging stove when playing with control boxes? If so, it could be the connections being made in junction box and the tabs on control box. May need a little cleaning. Also double check wires on thermocouple as it is what is suppose to tell control box that there is proof of fire and to start feeding again. kap

Are you unplugging stove when playing with control boxes? If so, it could be the connections being made in junction box and the tabs on control box. May need a little cleaning. Also double check wires on thermocouple as it is what is suppose to tell control box that there is proof of fire and to start feeding again. kap
will do.

have put back old control box ( dated 2008) and removed new box(dated 2014) stove as started 5 times in a row. I had installed the therocoupler and igniter after I put in new box. I did have trouble fitting in the new box.
right now the stove is working ok, will let you know what happens tomorrow.

Hope putting boxes in and out just cleaned the connections, and made better contact. kap

wishful thinking, the stove misfired after5 start ups. will start up 2 o3 times then misfire have removed control
box and cleaned prongs with electronic coontact cleaner, I guess the stove wins, we have put over 65 tons of pellets in it. I just do noit know here to go from here, maybe remove the juction box and clean it ?

Or just try and clean port where control box slides into. Could be a loose wire on back of there too. I'm at a loss also. That is an old stove.

I wish you the best of luck. kap
up date,
beleive or nor there was a hole about 1/4 inch in dia. next to the burn pot. what the hole was for? but plug it up with nut and bolt. since the stove has not misfire for 5 days, now this stove comes on every 30min depending on the weather that 16 times a day it fires up, so is working fine now.

Hey Johnny,

Thanks for the update, always informative to hear back about a stove issue. Do you still have the original ceramic burn pot? Was the hole a crack maybe that enlarged? Was it near the igniter slit at the bottom of the pot? If so, you may be due for the updated cast EZ clean burn pot. I remember reading a post on here a couple years back where a guy with a 800 or 1000 model had the bottom of his ceramic pot crack completely apart and fall down into the ash bin. Filled the stove and house with smoke but the vac switch did its job and shut the auger feed down. If it is a burn pot hole it would be worth pulling your pot and assessing it for structural integrity / safety, IMO. Regards, DK

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you are up and running. Stay warm. kap

Hey Johnny,

Thanks for the update, always informative to hear back about a stove issue. Do you still have the original ceramic burn pot? Was the hole a crack maybe that enlarged?Was it near the igniter slit at the bottom of the pot? If so, you may be due for the updated cast EZ clean burn pot. I remember reading a post on here a couple years back where a guy with a 800 or 1000 model had the bottom of his ceramic pot crack completely apart and fall down into the ash bin. Filled the stove and house with smoke but the vac switch did its job and shut the auger feed down. If it is a burn pot hole it would be worth pulling your pot and assessing it for structural integrity / safety, IMO. Regards, DK
have had steel/ iron pot for years. the hole has been there since new. it has always been covered with a screw. I never paid attention to it. it has been the since1995, about 1 inch from the firepot now put nut and bolt in it. I guess it inproved the draft. stove lights every time.

You must have the original pot replacement that came out then, which has had another upgrade as I understand it to address the igniter slit airflow issues. Good to know your burn pot isn't going to fall apart on you !

It's a testament to Quad quality that your vintage stove is still running strong after all its years. My 2001 model still has the original auger and convection motors in it, and when they eventually give up the ghost I know I won't get 15 burn seasons out of the replacements !

Cheers, DK

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.