Quadrafire 1800i poor draw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

JDelaney

Hearth Supporter
Nov 7, 2009
Vancouver, Wa
Hey guys, I recently purchased a Quadrafire 1800i insert second hand. I installed it myself using a 6" adjustable 90* (at approx 45*) going to a 15' long 6" stainless chimney liner topped with a china hat. The stove can be difficult to light, but once burning, burns well and produces good heat. The issue I think I have is when the door is open when adding more fuel, smoke bellows out of the stove and fumigates the entire house. I removed the baffle and inspected the Kaowool blanket and all appears to be in good condition. There was no change in the stove operation after the baffle inspection. Is the smoke bellowing out of the stove a normal conditon? We had wood burning stoves when I was growing up and I don't remember them smoking out the house like this unit does.

Since the install is new, my first guess would be the wood you are burning is not seasoned properly (too damp still).

I would also check the cap for blockage if it has been in service fore more than a few months, with slow start and lots of smoke, and screen on the cap is probably plugged.

Agreed the wood and the cap first. If that isn't the issue, how tightly joined and sealed is the 45 to the stove and to the liner? Is it screwed and cemented in place so no leakage?

If I add wood with the fan on it can shoot it out a little but not billows.

Status
Not open for further replies.