Quadra-Fire/ZC install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bren86

Jul 25, 2019
Texas
Hello, I've been digging on this site for a while now and have learned a lot. I appreciate the detail in this forum. I've been searching for a wood-burning insert for my ZC.

I have a home built (not by me) in 2013 with a FMI B42 ZC fireplace. I have found a used Quadra-Fire 4100i that I think I would like to install.

From my understanding...

1. The quadra-fire 4100i is a good insert to install into a ZC.
2. My particular ZC does not recommend an insert to be installed per the manual, but that isn't really a surprise since very few ZC manufacturers do.

The B42 is meant to burn real wood logs and has a gas starter. I have burned wood the last two years with no issues.

What I can't seem to place my finger on is my "chimney" - no masonry, just the pipe. How do I know if I need to do the full reline to install an insert, or if I can connect a piece to the insert and run it a few feet up the existing pipe? I don't see any labels or anything.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
What does the fireplace manual say about it?

If it says you can't do it then you can't do it plain and simple.

Thanks for the response bholler,

From the Homeowners Guide, not model-specific:
Use of an insert in a FMI PRODUCTS, LLC fireplace. FMI PRODUCTS, LLC does not recommend or authorize the use of any insert in our fireplaces and will assume no responsibility for any damages caused by an insert.

From the Owners manual for the B42:
Do not install a fireplace insert in this box unless the manufacturers instructions with the insert specifically state this fireplace has been tested for use with this insert

Thanks for the response bholler,

From the Homeowners Guide, not model-specific:
Use of an insert in a FMI PRODUCTS, LLC fireplace. FMI PRODUCTS, LLC does not recommend or authorize the use of any insert in our fireplaces and will assume no responsibility for any damages caused by an insert.

From the Owners manual for the B42:
Do not install a fireplace insert in this box unless the manufacturers instructions with the insert specifically state this fireplace has been tested for use with this insert
So does the quads manual say it has been tested for use in an fmi b42 fireplace? If not then you can't do it.

So does the quads manual say it has been tested for use in an fmi b42 fireplace? If not then you can't do it.

Thank you, that part makes sense. Any thoughts on the chimney? The quad manual lists out the specifications needed for the chimney, but I’m not sure how I would know anything about my chimney without a label.

Thank you, that part makes sense. Any thoughts on the chimney? The quad manual lists out the specifications needed for the chimney, but I’m not sure how I would know anything about my chimney without a label.
The quadra fire manual does not specifically say that the insert can be installed in a b42 firebox so you can't put that insert in your fireplace. Therefore the chimney really doesn't matter.

The quadra fire manual does not specifically say that the insert can be installed in a b42 firebox so you can't put that insert in your fireplace. Therefore the chimney really doesn't matter.

Thanks. The goal is to ultimately get an insert in there, even if it isn't a 4100i, at which point it will matter. Even if the manual said it was specifically made to go into my ZC I still don't see how I can put it in there without knowing a lot more than I do about the pipe going through my roof. Any idea how I would figure that out?

Thanks. The goal is to ultimately get an insert in there, even if it isn't a 4100i, at which point it will matter. Even if the manual said it was specifically made to go into my ZC I still don't see how I can put it in there without knowing a lot more than I do about the pipe going through my roof. Any idea how I would figure that out?
If you find one tested for use in your fireplace yes you will need a full liner through your existing chimney. But I would strongly recommend either replacing your fireplace with a high efficiency one. Or installing a freestanding stove possibly in a different location