Quadra fire not heating house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Estacia

Mar 24, 2021
Valley wa
Hello,
So I have a manufactured home that does not warm with the fire place. And I dont understand why we have good insulation it's a 2004 model. My thoughts are is because there a hole to the outside undernearh the fireplace. Because my mother law has the same fire place and the whole house got hot with in about 15 mins and I was shocked. So is there suppose to be a hole there? Yes I'm burning seasoned wood and have my chimney cleaned every month.

Might as well skip to the chase and ask a few questions folks will invariably ask.

-- How do you operate your stove? In other words, please describe how you load it, where you set the air controls, etc.
-- How do you know the wood is seasoned (i.e. was it cut x months ago, tested with a moisture meter, seller said it was, etc.)

The wood has been out over a year and I no were to put the knobs I've used wood stoves for awhile I'm not a complete noob, I keep it loaded but my furnace always kicks in and I have it set at 62...

And I notice near the fire place its freezing which brings me back to my original question do you think it would be beneficial to plug the whole in the floor under the fire place? And I dont have a temp gun to read how hot it's getting I just know if my furnace is kicking on every 20 mins it's not working correctly.

Outside temps at night are around 30 and day time in the 50s

and I have a moisture meter and use it on my wood, the wood is burning good just doesnt heat the house at all

Plug that pneumonia hole.

Reactions: Tar12
And what Quadrafire stove are we talking about here?

The wood has been out over a year and I no were to put the knobs I've used wood stoves for awhile I'm not a complete noob, I keep it loaded but my furnace always kicks in and I have it set at 62...

And I notice near the fire place its freezing which brings me back to my original question do you think it would be beneficial to plug the whole in the floor under the fire place? And I dont have a temp gun to read how hot it's getting I just know if my furnace is kicking on every 20 mins it's not working correctly.

Outside temps at night are around 30 and day time in the 50s

and I have a moisture meter and use it on my wood, the wood is burning good just doesnt heat the house at all

So your wood may be burning but may not be burning as hot as it could if its not seasoned. You state that you have a moisture meter but don't state what the MC of the wood actually is. You state that the wood has seasoned for a year,, but that means very little as some wood will take 2 to 3 years to season properly. Split open a split and check the MC on the freshly split side.. Your asking for help and were helping you rule out what it may be. Your stating that the stove is not heating and don't tell us what the actual temperature of the stove is.. If you don't know the temperature of the stove than how do you know it's running properly. Theres a manual that came with the stove. This manual usually covers operating temperature.. and a temperature that will overfire the stove .. what are they.. I understand that your saying your not a noob, neither am I and I can tell you that my wood is at 15% MC it's all oak and some cherry and that my stove is at 575 degrees when I close my damper, and my cat is cruising at 1,000 degrees... What your doing right now is you think your wood is seasoned and you have no idea what temperature the stoves actually running at.. This is a process of eliminating all of the factors that my be wrong with your wood stove performance..

Reactions: BrotherBart
And again I will ask how you operate the stove . . . not trying to be a pain in the butt, but a lot of long time woodstove users who are use to running older stoves find running the newer stoves a whole other beast. For example, in an older woodstove to get more heat out of the stove I would leave the air control all the way open . . . more air = more flames which = more heat. With the newer stoves shutting down the air results in more heat as it will often allow secondary burning in stoves which use secondary burning tech.

Moreover, it is important to know at what temps your stove and/or chimney are running.

The issue very well may be with the fireplace, but folks trying to help out here like to rule out other variables . . . as one person wrote one wood species cut, split and stacked for a year (ash for example) tends to be more seasoned than oak if cut, split and stacked at the same time. We're just trying to rule out the variables.

Reactions: BrotherBart