Quadra Fire CB1200 backdraft / smell when cold

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

upstateNY363

Oct 24, 2024
Corinth, NY
Hi everyone. I'm about at my wits end and hope someone can help me. I have a new quadrafire cb 1200 which was installed (new stove and new install to a room that hadn't had one before) in April of this year, burned once before cleaning and shutting down for the season. the stove is direct vented through the wall and outside.
It's been cold in upstate NY so the stove has been burning for a few weeks (not turning on regular heating yet) but the last few days have been in the 70s so no stove.
I'm finding that when the stove is off, not running, completely room temp, I'm getting a smoky smell coming through the stove and into the room.
the stove is clean, vacuumed out, door/ash pan are securely closed & tight, surrounding area and the room is fully vacuumed so it's not like there's ash anywhere. there's no smell or smoke coming out at all when the stove is running, so I don't think it's a leak in any of the venting pipes, it's only when the stove is cold/completely off/has been off for hours. Is it possible theres some kind of backdraft? I called the dealer where I got it and asked their service guy about this and he said he's never heard of a stove smelling like that before.
at this.
Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening? The smoky smell aggravates my partner's allergies terribly and besides that it doesn't smell good in general. Thank you in advance for any guidance!!

Can you post and describe your venting , length, elbows, 3 inch 4 inch, using existing chimney, especially the outside? Most likely getting down draft in cold vent. What do you have for end cap on vent and is it facing the prevailing winds in your area.

Reactions: stovelark
direct vented through the wall and outside

Welcome to the forum
Maybe direct wind into the exhaust vent?
I have never seen a pellet stove backdraft except on a direct vent facing prevailing winds

Thanks for the replies!
Here are pictures of the venting. the vent is on the northeast corner of the house and a quick google search is telling me prevailing wind is typically out of the west. If wind into the exhaust vent is the problem, is there something I can do about that?

[Hearth.com] Quadra Fire CB1200 backdraft / smell when cold

Venting looks good, try turning the end cap a quarter turn to right or left. If that does not help you might end up putting a clean out t outside and going 3 feet vertical then 1 foot horizontal ending with your end cap. That would create a natural draw.

How tight is your house, ie insulation, door seals, new widows? Are you running any thing that uses air when you smell the stove, Dryer, range hood, bathroom exhaust fan, hot air furnace, hot water boiler? If your house is real tight you might be drawing air though the stove. Try cracking a window and see if the smell goes away. If your house is real tight and cracking a windows works you might want to add a Outside Air Kit/OAK can also be called a Fresh Air Kit/FAC.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/outside-air-kit-for-quadra-fire-cb-1200-question.73329/

Reactions: johneh
My house is not that tight, but it's occurring to me that the draftiest window and doors are on the complete opposite side of the house from the air movers, so I'm wondering if since the stove is closer that's more "the path of least resistance" for pulling in air.
I have a vent over my stove, and all the bathrooms have a fan/vent in the ceiling. if I was going to crack a window, where in relation to all those air movers and the stove makes the most sense to crack a window to help with the airflow? and should I leave it cracked open all winter/burning season?
here's a quick drawing of my first floor which shows where the stove is, the drafty windows, all the other windows, and the air movers.

I think the one you put the arrow from would be the best 3 living room window. Just crack it for testing purposes if smell goes away you would then want to install a Outside Air Kit on your stove. Also watch the quality of your fire if you crack that window with fire going and fire gets better/more active that is another way to tell if Outside Air Kit would help.

I would still start with just twisting the vent end cap to the right or left a 8th of a turn.

I have the vent cap twisted an eighth of a turn to the right but in doing so, with the way the wind blows at my house, having that third window in the living room cracked leads to the exhaust pouring right in through the window crack. I've instead cracked a kitchen window and smell seems to have gone away. if having the window cracked seems to have solved the "smoky" smell in the house when the stove is cold, does that indicate I should get the OAK? also, fwiw, having the window cracked like that makes the stove ignite fully in 5 minutes or less, before it was taking 6-7 to get a full flame.
also, is that something I can install by myself or does it make more sense to have the dealer/service techs do it?
thanks again for all the replies, this has been so helpful

Reactions: ARC
is that something I can install by myself
Yes you can install yourself not that hard to do. I was hoping if you bought that stove from dealer they would do the right thing and install one for free. If cracking window made stove start better then I would say OAK would be a good idea.