-Quad Santa Fe venting question-

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pellet mullet

Oct 27, 2019
Detroit, Mi
Hey pellet stovers. I just bought the santa fe and getting ready to install and I thought I would connect to the wisdom of the community before moving forward:)

I want to do a simple vent out the wall setup, but wanted to add a 5 feet vertical run. I'm wondering whether it makes more sense to have the pipe go up 5 feet in the house then go out the wall. It seems slightly more tricky because of fire hazard but also would be aesthetically more pleasing and perhaps more heat? In the case of keeping the vertical run in house I'm thinking of using just a double walled T with the cleanout on the bottom, instead of getting the topvent adapter which is substantially more costly. Am I missing something? Other than slight more ease in cleaning with the topvent adapter, just can't see why I would use that...

here are my two option
option A. (prefered)
Stove.jpg

option B.
IMG_1840 (1).JPG

thanks for your collective wisdom!

I vote A. Along with an OAK, if power goes out it will have a natural draft and clear the smoke outside and not in your home.

Reactions: johneh
I vote A. Along with an OAK, if power goes out it will have a natural draft and clear the smoke outside and not in your home.

X2
besides, it looks nicer more like a wood stove

That’s my feeling that as well:) to move pipe to vertical section within house, does using a t joint with cleanout cap on bottom instead of buying expensive top vent adapter make sense to you all as well??

O outside
A air
K kit
Using outside air to feed the fire
instead of inside air.
a pipe throw the wall to the outside
connected to the back of the stove.

Now you have opened a can of worms
opinions about an OAK are like a--holes everyone has one
I personally have an OAK because I didn't like the fact
that air I had paid to heat was going up the stack
But there are other reasons for and against