Quad mode opinion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bkins

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Mar 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
i have a older Mt. Vernon.

I did a complete tear down and clean 2 days ago. I found a fair amount of ash on the top of the cast plate that covers the heat tubes. I have 2 levers that you pull out with the purpose being it is supposed to scrape the fine ash off the heat tubes.

Since the cleaning I am getting noticeably higher heat out of the stove. Found little to no ash buildup in any of the combustion pathways or the combustion fan. The only place ash was really found was on top of the baffle cast plate.

I was thinking of trying to add rope gaskets on the 3 sides of the plate to try to keep the ash from getting on the heat tubes. I don't want to damage the plate or the stove but was thinking if the heat tubes could be kept ash free that I would get that much more heat from the stove and the pellets I'm burning. The bottom side of the plate already has a rope gasket on it.

Any thoughts on attempting to do this.

Forget the rope gaskets and just clean more. The ash is going to follow the exhaust path anyway. kap

Status
Not open for further replies.