Quad 4300 stovetop temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

charles9909

Feb 3, 2020
petersburgh, ny
I have a 5 yr old Quadrafire 4300 flat top. I can't get the secondary burn tubes to engage until the stove top reaches at least 800 degrees. I've read that 700 is the max folks like to run at the tops hot spot. Everything seems to be in place corectly inside the stove. Has anyone had similar experience.
Thanks,
Charles

I have a 5 yr old Quadrafire 4300 flat top. I can't get the secondary burn tubes to engage until the stove top reaches at least 800 degrees. I've read that 700 is the max folks like to run at the tops hot spot. Everything seems to be in place corectly inside the stove. Has anyone had similar experience.
Thanks,
Charles
How long has your wood been cut split and covered?

I really prefer going by pipe temps over stove top temps. It is a much more accurate and faster way to tell what is going on with the combustion process

Wood is bone dry, oak, maple cherry, small to med. splits.
Charles
How do you know it is bone dry? Have you tested it on a fresh split face with a moisture meter?

Describe your chimney setup for us.

Tested with a meter, been put up two years under cover. We have a masonry chim. going up thru the middle of the house 22 ft high. Stove is attached with single wall stove pipe with one 90 elbow. Total run of about 30" of pipe total into the masonry. Couldn't be more straight forward.

Tested with a meter, been put up two years under cover. We have a masonry chim. going up thru the middle of the house 22 ft high. Stove is attached with single wall stove pipe with one 90 elbow. Total run of about 30" of pipe total into the masonry. Couldn't be more straight forward.
What size is the clay liner? Is there a cleanout? If so is the door sealed? Are all of the block cores filled in the cleanout opening?

And what moisture content did you get and how did you test it?

We have a 8" clay liner in solid block 16" square concrete blocks . I checked the cleanout door which I knew was not air tight. Replaced it with an airtight closure. Thanks for suggestion, but the issue still remains maybe a bit better.