Quad 4300 break in fires.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nshif

Hearth Supporter
I see nothing in the Quad manual about break in fires. Im sure I will do some to burn of paint etc but anybody have any ideas of temps? I dont wanna trash this thing in the 1st few fires

First one should get to approx. 350 degrees and then be allowed to die.

Second one about 450 and same thing.

One more to about 550 and the same thing. Then its ready to roll.

That's how I do it. Seems to work pretty well- I think I stole that from Vermont Castings. They used to have a pretty good description in their manual. Not sure if they do anymore.

Thanks Corrie, thats pretty close to what i was thinking. Ill run with that if I dont hear anything contrary from Quad folks.

We always just tell people that the first few fires just make them small and only put a few logs in. If you run it really hot right away all the paint will fall off the top.

jtp10181 said:
We always just tell people that the first few fires just make them small and only put a few logs in. If you run it really hot right away all the paint will fall off the top.

jtp
Thats not giving me a real "warm fuzzy feeling " Is the paint on Quads that bad? I could understand poping a weld or blowing a seal but all the paint fall off?? My guess is its built like a brick chit house and the only thing to worry about is scorching the paint. As a dealer you should should probably find a better way to express that. AND Quad should put some break in info in their manual ( as well as better info on floor protection requirements) dont get me wrong I love the stove but their info is a bit lacking. just some consumer feed back.

They are doing an RCI on the wood/pellet manuals I think this week. They have asked me for input, I will try and remember to bring that up (about the lack of info).

The paint is not bad, it is possible that the people we have encounter who's paint has fallen off over fired the stove. Of course everyone you ask about it says they did not. It seemed to be a common theme that the people who had paint falling off were not making smaller fires for the first few. But it could also be that they were just plain over firing the stove. If other manufacturers don't have the problem of the paint falling off from a bad break-in I would assume its just a myth at our store. I don't recall ever getting this advise from Quad directly.

The stoves are built very well, and I love the way the new ACC stoves work, you will have to let us know how you like the timer thingy on it. For the amount we put in, I only see a few warranty issues. Usually a weld that breaks apart on the rear manifolds, which are totally different on the ACC I think to stop that problem.

Well it sounds as if some specs need to be set about break in fires. and it would be to their advantage to to come up with a floor R factor rather than " millboard covered with metal or equivilent" I tried like hell to come up with the " equivilent " but couldnt determine what that was.
I also plan to send an email off to them stating my concerns but who knows where that will go.
Still really like the stove Ill post more once I get it fired up. Looking forward to the ACC hope its as good as adertised.
Wasnt coming down on you jtp just seems the manual needs a little work. Thanks

nshif said:
Wasnt coming down on you jtp just seems the manual needs a little work. Thanks

They all do nshif, they all do. The only good stove manual I have ever seen is the one for Blaze Kings.

BB
But at least an R factor and some break in info, seems pretty basic to me. might solve some warrenty issues.

nshif said:
BB
But at least an R factor and some break in info, seems pretty basic to me. might solve some warrenty issues.

Let's just say that I go through the 200, 300, 450 drill with cast iron stoves but with every steel stove I have ever owned I just light the pup up and head for 500.

This is the thermo on top of the 30-NC sitting in front of my garage curing the paint. Their paint and five coats of mine on top of it. I lit it off and went up to five with the factory paint, cooled it off, painted it and did this burn before bringing it in the house.

Attachments

• Quad 4300 break in fires.
    30 breakin.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 250
You might want to burn the first smaller fire with the door ajar to the first safety catch. This will allow the paint to cure and hopefully your door gasket will not stick to the stove body as mine did when I fired up my 5700 the first time.

The heart pad requirements was another thing that is going to be revised with this RCI event.

Status
Not open for further replies.