Put down my deposit on a pellet insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakethepup

Hearth Supporter
Aug 3, 2008
Central Kentucky
First, I want to thank everyone for their input from another thread I had about installation and different brands of pellet stoves that people had. I ended up purchasing a Sierra insert and not from the dealer I first visited. I am really not sure why Sierra seems to be the choice of stove around in my area, other than the ones you get at lowes or home depot, not that there is anything wrong with Lowes or home depot stoves, it just that I wanted to make sure I get a good install from someone who knows what they are doing. One thing I liked about this dealer is that the stove can have a battery installed in case the power fails so that the stove will continue to work, he told me he could get this battery from the factory but I could buy it locally and it is the same battery he would be getting from the factory at about ½ the cost. He also talked me out of getting an automatic thermostat , he said that it would burn more pellets by having to fire up and get back up to temperate, he suggested to leave it set on a low setting and just let it burn.

The insert, with nickel trim and the installation will be 3,400.00, I put down my deposit and he said he would have the stove installed in 7 to 10 days. The dealer also sells pellets and I am not sure of the name brand but they are 225.00 per ton and a delivery charge of 50.00.

So maybe in a few days I will join you guys in saving a little of that very expensive propane gas.

Just have a feeling you are really going to be happy with that stove. No experience with one, just a feeling.

Enjoy and don't forget the pictures when that pup is installed.

I hope I am happy with the insert, the only way you know for sure I guess is to try it. I guess if I don't like it I could always sell it. It won't heat the whole house but I hope it keeps the furnace from coming on as much, the propane is now 2.89. a gallon and that is paid in advance, so I hope I have some left over. To apply to next year. But to be honest I hope it does not get cold enough to have to use either, is that not wishful thinking.

When it is installed I will post a few pictures, and I almost forgot it could be an additional charge depending on the cap on top of the fuel if it is needed at the time of the install.

My biggest problem coming up is cleaning out a spot in the detached garage, to store the pellets my attached garage of course is full, and then I need to figure out how many tones I should buy. I am going to get a ton, and I really doubt that will be enough maybe I should just get two tons and if I do have any left over I could use them next season. I am guessing if they do not get wet or damp they store just fine. I have gotten mice in ther detached garage in the past when it gets cold so that also concerns me. I was thinking about puchasing one of those electronic devices that you plug in. Not sure if they work or not. I guess that type of question should be posted in another thread, named will electronic device as seen on TV really keep the mice out of my pellets. LOL

If things work out it should be around the first of September when I get it installed, looking forward to it and dreading it too, since I know it will be the closing of my favorite season, summer.

Jakethepup said:
......... the propane is now 289.00 a gallon and that is paid in advance,

My biggest problem coming up is cleaning out a spot in the detached garage, to store the pellets my attached garage of course is full, and then I need to figure out how many tones I should buy......

$289.00 a gallon for propane???? YIKES!!!!! OK, I know that's a typo, but I couldn't resist...LOL

As for the garage being full, seems to me that you have a really good reason to clean it out now....do I hear Garage Sale coming up???

That sure was a typo, it should read 2.89 a gallon. Going to edit that.

As for the garage, I just did a good cleaning on the garage about a month ago, cleaned windows, mopped the floor and toss everything out that was not good stuff. However, when I put one of my cars in there which I am protecting that is in a plastic bubble, and that is no joke, it has a fan attached that keeps the car clean, which like a big condom for a car. You would have to see it, it's hard to explain. Then when I add my two garden tractors and another car it is about full up. And I am kind of a neat freak, so I keep everything clean as I can. I even have one of those Dirt Dogs Roomba robots that's cleans the floor every other day. So I am down to putting the pellets in the other garage. I did purchase one of those heavy duty garage can's with two wheels thinking that I could fill that up and keep it in the attached garage, so I would not have to go outside to get the pellets at each fill up.

This pellet insert is going to be something really new to me, so I am planning ahead. I just hope I love the stove and find I can't live without it.

I know the full garage feeling. I had a summer garage sale to make room for my pellets - 3 tons. My problem is I have no room for the Snow Blower now until I use some of the pellets. I store the snow blower in the shed, but thats in the very back of the yard. I'm going to get an outdoor cover for it and hope it starts OK that way.

I just wish the stove would get here now that I have the pellets. I'm waiting for a Lopi, the dealer said it was due to ship from the factory this week, :) . He won't give me install date until the factory gives him a trucker number just in case. Can't blame him. The woman in the office said she was tired of getting yelled at (not by me).

Back in 1982 I built a 28X32 ft garage, I sure am glad i did now.

My insert is sitting at the dealer, I am just waiting on his pellet order to come in. He said he has two orders coming in. One at the first part of September , and the other one around the middle of September.

But, what I am reading around here on the forum it sounds like some people are having a little problem getting pellets. The other day when I was at tractor supply stove they said they sell pellets but the guy said he did not have the cost yet, and did not know the brand name he said to check back in about a month. So if worst comes to worst I guess I could get the pellet insert installed and get the pellets from someone else. The only thing I thought about at least for the first year, if something happens and the stove does not work like it should, and if I get the pellets from the dealer then, he could not say that it was the pellets I was burning since they came from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.