Public park score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
So someone PM'd me on nextdoor telling me about a couple of downed trees in city parks, right next to the road. Sure enough, a couple of oaks, one a real monster. I figured I'd probably get harassed, but that asking forgiveness would be better than permission. I did this once after a storm, and the park guys told me to go ahead. So that was going to be my excuse. Anyway, I picked up 2 small truckloads over the last 2 days (~1/2 cord), and at least 3 city parks trucks drove by me without stopping. And there's plenty more--here's a couple of pics of what's left. And does anyone else think that the bark on that closer up shot looks weird for an oak?

Public park score Public park score

So someone PM'd me on nextdoor telling me about a couple of downed trees in city parks, right next to the road. Sure enough, a couple of oaks, one a real monster. I figured I'd probably get harassed, but that asking forgiveness would be better than permission. I did this once after a storm, and the park guys told me to go ahead. So that was going to be my excuse. Anyway, I picked up 2 small truckloads over the last 2 days (~1/2 cord), and at least 3 city parks trucks drove by me without stopping. And there's plenty more--here's a couple of pics of what's left. And does anyone else think that the bark on that closer up shot looks weird for an oak?

View attachment 234384 View attachment 234385

Nice score!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Slocum
Get it all! lol

The part touching the ground on the outside was a bit punky, so it's been down for a while. Don't know that it's going anywhere soon. The first smaller tree I thought was oak until I split it. So what is this? Walnut? Maple?
Public park score

You'd be surprised at what putting on orange chaps, orange hard hat, and a yellow safety vest will get you. People assume you're from the county and leave you alone.

Wood in tire from post #6 #8 looks like oak (pin oak ?).

Town Parks.....

I posted this in another thread back in 2014. Some info that I had left out is actually detailed in the newspaper article. Dad was born in '34 so he was a depression era youngster. During those hard times he was actually living in a town park in a tent. He had a huge heart attack and quadruple bypass in the mid '80's, retired from long haul trucking in the early '90's and in 2012 with only 20% blood flow to his body was able to cut, haul, split (hydraulics) stack & burn this monster from the very town park he once lived in.

Town parks can be a good source.....

A few years ago a nasty wind storm knocked down a huge oak near my parents place in south central PA. It was bigger than the town guys wanted to mess with. They contacted a forester type but he was not interested either, too costly to move equipment in just for one tree.

Dad wound up giving a $ 100 donation to the town general fund. It took him a month but he cut 17 or 18 massive loads in his 6.5 foot Z-71. He figured he got a good 8 cord out of it. It was 44" diameter at the base, very tall & straight, with a huge crown at the very top.

The best part was him being 78 at the time, got his pic & a nice story in paper about it and everything. We framed it for his birthday.

Public park score

The part touching the ground on the outside was a bit punky, so it's been down for a while. Don't know that it's going anywhere soon. The first smaller tree I thought was oak until I split it. So what is this? Walnut? Maple?
View attachment 234404

Looking at the first pic of the original post and the pick of the split with the dark center.. i say you have shag bark hickory... its a good wood..still be happy....

You'd be surprised at what putting on orange chaps, orange hard hat, and a yellow safety vest will get you. People assume you're from the county and leave you alone.

Or they come up to you while you are cutting the downed trees in the city park and want to tell you about a malfunctioning traffic light as they assume you are from Public Works . . .

True story . . . and yes I pretty much wear everything you listed, although my safety vest is orange . . . and for the record I asked permission first.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Or they come up to you while you are cutting the downed trees in the city park and want to tell you about a malfunctioning traffic light as they assume you are from Public Works . . .

True story . . . and yes I pretty much wear everything you listed, although my safety vest is orange . . . and for the record I asked permission first.

I too get permission, not trying to skirt the rules, just keeps the busy bodies away.

Reactions: firefighterjake
Town Parks.....

I posted this in another thread back in 2014. Some info that I had left out is actually detailed in the newspaper article. Dad was born in '34 so he was a depression era youngster. During those hard times he was actually living in a town park in a tent. He had a huge heart attack and quadruple bypass in the mid '80's, retired from long haul trucking in the early '90's and in 2012 with only 20% blood flow to his body was able to cut, haul, split (hydraulics) stack & burn this monster from the very town park he once lived in.

Town parks can be a good source.....

A few years ago a nasty wind storm knocked down a huge oak near my parents place in south central PA. It was bigger than the town guys wanted to mess with. They contacted a forester type but he was not interested either, too costly to move equipment in just for one tree.

Dad wound up giving a $ 100 donation to the town general fund. It took him a month but he cut 17 or 18 massive loads in his 6.5 foot Z-71. He figured he got a good 8 cord out of it. It was 44" diameter at the base, very tall & straight, with a huge crown at the very top.

The best part was him being 78 at the time, got his pic & a nice story in paper about it and everything. We framed it for his birthday.

View attachment 234415
I remember seeing that picture and reading the story. I loved it then and I still love it. What a dude! [emoji123][emoji122][emoji41]

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk