PSA: Sudden Oak limb drop from excessive summer heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kennyp2339

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
It has become apparent that 2/3 of the lower 48 will be in some sort of heat wave for the next week or so. I know in my area (NNJ) forecasters are saying that high temps can reach 7 year record highs for the next 5 days.
I wanted to discuss what is called sudden oak limb drop, this seems to occur in oak tree (from what I've witnessed red oaks especially) when temps suddenly jump up and sustain the tree will actually shed limbs due to heat stress.
Its just one more thing to be aware of when working out in the woods or near oaks that generally look healthy otherwise.
Working for the power co. I get sent out to trouble on a daily biases, if I come across any oaks that have this I'll take some pics and post them, along with the weather report for that time.

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I just so happen to have a decent size oak limb reaching out over my driveway that would make a mess of my little car if it fell.

Obviously safety comes first but I've always heard the any relatively significant tree trimming should be done late fall or winter when the trees are dormant. Apparently this is safer for the tree. I'd rather lean towards keeping the giant oak trees that surround my house healthy and if that means parking my cars away from them until late fall when I can remove the limbs so be it.

Is it really that big of a deal to prune trees in the summer?

It has become apparent that 2/3 of the lower 48 will be in some sort of heat wave for the next week or so. I know in my area (NNJ) forecasters are saying that high temps can reach 7 year record highs for the next 5 days.
I wanted to discuss what is called sudden oak limb drop, this seems to occur in oak tree (from what I've witnessed red oaks especially) when temps suddenly jump up and sustain the tree will actually shed limbs due to heat stress.
Its just one more thing to be aware of when working out in the woods or near oaks that generally look healthy otherwise.
Working for the power co. I get sent out to trouble on a daily biases, if I come across any oaks that have this I'll take some pics and post them, along with the weather report for that time.

I need to put full coverage on the wood hauler and park it under the oak in my driveway. Thanks for the heads up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never heard of this. But I have experienced sizable limbs breaking off of a older White Oak with no wind or lightning. But they were hollow and with the weight of new leaves they just gave way.

Good timing for the post. I recently had a oak in the backyard drop what looked to be an o.k. limb. I was scratching my head as to why it fell.

Interesting...

This post peeked my curiosity so I did some digging.

No one really knows how this occurs though it seems to be a response from a tree during very hot days with still winds. It can happen to a variety of mature hardwoods. Oak, elm, beech etc. I have some very mature oaks and maples on my property so I’ll have to keep an eye out once the weather cools down.

Wow, to my surprise I had a large 29" dia. White Oak break off about 6ft up from the ground last night. The weekends 100F degree days must have pushed this tree to it's breaking point. The tree had a very asymmetrical limb structure offsetting to one side. Lucky for me it land 20 feet away from the house. Now to figure out a way of dealing with this tangled mess. It could be a good candidate for my home owners insurance. Wow ---
" Sudden Oak limb drop from excessive summer heat " is for real.

OAK_07-22-19.jpg OAK2_07-22-19.jpg

Last edited:
possibility - strong sun - plus high heat could lead to over expansion of cellular structure = boom
There was a minor dent in the side of the rear 1/4 panel on one of my trucks it has magically disappeared due to the weather and the sun shinning on that area

Reactions: Lakeside