Proud new owner of a PE Super 27

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

albertj03

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 16, 2009
Southern Maine
Paid for the stove today and will most likely be picking it up on Friday. Dealer had a $300 off sale till the end of the month and PE is giving away the ash system for free right now. The discount plus the tax credit made it an easy sell for them to me and more importantly from me to my wife. I went with just the black door and pedestal base to keep the cost down but plan to add the legs if I ever move the stove to the first floor of the house (would need to build an addition to have a good spot for it).

The fun part is going to be getting it into the basement. I'll probably be kicking myself for not paying their delivery and setup fee but it's only 4 stairs to get down into the basement from outside. Anyone have any tips on this?

Can't wait for the first burn.

Only four little ole stairs? You should be able to push it right down those! :lol: Also, we need stove pr0n pics when you get 'er home.

Nice!, congratulations. Leave the stove on the pallet and use a good appliance handtruck. Ratchet strap the stove to the handtruck so that it acts as one unit. The get a couple buddies to help ease it on down the stairs one at a time.

Only four stairs but the damn stove is heavy as hell. We'll be hauling it home on a flat bed trailer and may try a furniture dolly to get it down the stairs.

Remove the door, ash pan and firebrick before going down the stairs. In fact before taking it off the truck.

BeGreen said:
Nice!, congratulations. Leave the stove on the pallet and use a good appliance handtruck. Ratchet strap the stove to the handtruck so that it acts as one unit. The get a couple buddies to help ease it on down the stairs one at a time.

That is pretty much the plan. I can rent the hand truck with the rubber rollers on the back for $10 at UHaul.

Congrats on the purchase !
When I moved my insert I used a dolly, my atv rams ( 2 2x6's work too ) and a piece of plywood on top of them, have one person in back to guide it and another in front to keep it from going to fast.

Here are some pictures of the one they have on display. It's the 30th anniversary model which I think is why it has the natural wood handle as opposed to the black wood handle. Looks kind of small in the pictures but I think it was the angle.

[Hearth.com] Proud new owner of a PE Super 27

[Hearth.com] Proud new owner of a PE Super 27

BrotherBart said:
Remove the door, ash pan and firebrick before going down the stairs. In fact before taking it off the truck.

The baffle is also quite heavy, and could be removed to reduce weight. might as well make a "Hog" baffle gasket (search pe baffle gasket) while you have it out.

That stove is supposed to have a long burn time. How long are you guys getting?

Matt

I used my hand truck from work to get my furnace in the basement. I'm in the foodservice delivery biz, and our two-wheelers have brakes. I just strapped it on with a good ratchet strap, and eased it down one step at a time. Alone.

madison said:
BrotherBart said:

The baffle is also quite heavy, and could be removed to reduce weight. might as well make a "Hog" baffle gasket (search pe baffle gasket) while you have it out.

Yeah I was gonna mention taking out the baffle but he really should find out how it burns with the baffle in place right before messing with it.

BrotherBart said:
madison said:
BrotherBart said:

Yeah I was gonna mention taking out the baffle but he really should find out how it burns with the baffle in place right before messing with it.

I'll employ the "don't fix it if it's not broken" methodology and see how it burns, which I'm very much looking forward to.

agree, but for moving the stove, the baffle is probably at least 25 pounds so removing it may be of some benefit for relocating the stove. nonetheless, then it is just an FYI, the OEM baffle gasket does not last one season, but the stove will burn fine with the toasted gasket.

Got the stove in the basement today. Kept it in the crate and slid it right off the back of the truck onto a long wood plank and let it slide down nice and easy onto a dolly. The only thing I couldn't figure out was when I put the ash dump on the instructions say there is a screw on the bottom of the stove that isn't there. There are two carriage bolts to attach the ash dump but the 1/4" - 1" Tek screw it mentions is not there. It seems like there is a hole in the ash dump for a screw but there is no hole on the bottom of the stove (like the directions say there should be) to screw a screw in. Ash dump works fine without it but the dealer is going to look into it for me. The only other thing is the metal plate inside the stove at the front of the fire box. I can't figure out how it goes in. I know I saw a thread about it but can't find it. If anyone has the link or a picture of where this goes please let me know.

Thanks

Here is a link to a post that talks about the Air boost manifold. AKA, pain in the ass plate. Dead simple to put in once you twist it and turn it 20 different ways and finally realize you are over thinking it. Good luck and nice stove. Post some pics after the set up.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/30126/

Nice!!

Just out of curiosity, what made you choose the Super 27 over the T5 (assuming the T5 was even considered)?

SKIN052 said:
Here is a link to a post that talks about the Air boost manifold. AKA, pain in the ass plate. Dead simple to put in once you twist it and turn it 20 different ways and finally realize you are over thinking it. Good luck and nice stove. Post some pics after the set up.

Thanks for the link. It looks like it goes where I thought, in between the tabs in the very front. Seems a little strange though because it doesn't sit right up against the edge of the stove. I'll play around with it some more.

raiderfan said:
Nice!!

Just out of curiosity, what made you choose the Super 27 over the T5 (assuming the T5 was even considered)?

The T5 is a beautiful stove. I went with the S27 based on price and it's in my basement. I had originally started looking at box store stoves because of my budget requirements but when I found this stove on sale at a local dealer I just had to stretch my budget a few hundred dollars more to get it.

albertj03 said:
SKIN052 said:

Thanks for the link. It looks like it goes where I thought, in between the tabs in the very front. Seems a little strange though because it doesn't sit right up against the edge of the stove. I'll play around with it some more.

When I was trying to figure this out at 11:30 last night I couldn't figure out where to put it. It seemed like it needed to go between the tabs sticking up in the front but didn't seem to fit quite right. It was funny when I looked at this morning and just slid it right in between the tabs and it went in perfect and is now sitting flush with the front lip like it is meant to. I guess that is the difference between 11:30 PM and 8 AM.

"I guess that is the difference between 11:30 PM and 8 AM. "

Or the difference between Jack Daniels and coffee? :)
Just kiddin ya. Good to hear that she's ready to go now.

you will probably use the PE ash dump once, or twice, then give up on it. IMHO... it is a novelty and not used by most PE owners.

If and when you do use the ash dump, a forwarning! the ashdump trap door will more than likely be prevented from closing by ash, cinders etc in the collection pan, or still remaining in the 2" sq trap, it then will create a blow torch like affect which will significantly reduce your burn times, consume your wood way faster than intended, it also gets white hot so I was concerned about the longevity of the trap door area with all the heat concentrated in that area.

Eventually, it fills with ash and chokes itself off.

BLIMP said:
where do u get replacement door gasket for that PE?
DOOR GASKETS - The gasket used by Pacific Energy
(7/8" medium density fiberglass rope) requires only light
pressure to seal. This will prolong seal life. It is important
that the door seal be maintained in good condition. Periodically
inspect seals and replace if necessary. Follow instructions
included in the DR31.WDGKIT kit obtainable from
your nearest Pacific Energy dealer.

SKIN052 said:
BLIMP said:
where do u get replacement door gasket for that PE?
DOOR GASKETS - The gasket used by Pacific Energy
(7/8" medium density fiberglass rope) requires only light
pressure to seal. This will prolong seal life. It is important
that the door seal be maintained in good condition. Periodically
inspect seals and replace if necessary. Follow instructions
included in the DR31.WDGKIT kit obtainable from
your nearest Pacific Energy dealer.
thanx, looked like it might but guess it wont do

Status
Not open for further replies.