Proud dad moment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Prof

Minister of Fire
Oct 18, 2011
Western PA
My 12 y.o. asked a couple times to learn to spit wood. A day ago, I suggested we go to the wood yard and have our first lesson. She immediately went to the garage and grabbed the Fiskars and said "this one dad?" Apparently she had been paying closer attention than I had thought. Unfortunately there were no easy rounds to be had. I talked her through a couple hunks of beech. She didn't give up till the wood cracked. I helped her focus on technique, but admittedly I was impressed with her accuracy for a kid who had never swung an ax! After about an hour, she had a nice little pile. I let her know that the pile would be about 2 days worth of wood during the coldest days in January. She smiled a little, I smiled a lot. She asked to give it another go tonight, but the rain got in the way.

That's great. This winter she'll be helping you feed the stove.

Reactions: Prof
She will shortly take over the wood duties and
will be the one feeding the stove. I remember
well when you sons wanted to learn. You will
always be proud of your daughter as I am of my sons

Reactions: Prof