Proper Method for Stove Pipe on rear-vent basement burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RangerRick88

Sep 21, 2019
USA
Prior homeowner left this wood burner in the basement, removed the stove pipe and couldn't move the stove due to weight and left it. I want to connect it. I've got a quote from a local hardware store, $475 for a Tee, small telescoping section, 90 fitting and masonry adapter.. seems VERY expensive. The Cap for the Tee alone is $50. This is all single-wall piping.

I'm hoping you can educate me on the proper way to connect this stove to the masonry inlet. I can't find a single-wall masonry adapter anywhere online. See photos.

-Single Wall Tee into back of stove,
-Vertical straight pipe section into a 90 - Need to find a single wall telescoping piece..
-90 connects into a 12" section to move off he wall a bit
-How do I connect properly to the masonry hole? Just shove a straight pipe section into the opening? It's a good 24" deep into wall.

Stove is a steel 8" rear-outlet unit.

Measurement to center of outlet on stove from ground is 28"
Measurement to center of masonry chimney inlet from ground is 64"
1 - NDz2I4o.jpg2 - WpDuGlJ.jpg3 - bdSNYCZ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What stove is this? I'm not sure on its clearances but the foam around the wall thimble is raising some red flags. What is being used as a thimble there?

Reactions: SpaceBus
What stove is this? I'm not sure on its clearances but the foam around the wall thimble is raising some red flags. What is being used as a thimble there?

No idea on stove, there are no markings on it. Being 8" I'm guessing it's quite a few years old. The wall thimble is made of what looks like 1" thick cement of some type, it's white in color. Might be a refractory material.

The place that quoted me the stove pipe was going to use a double walled masonry insert then a double to single wall adapter to connect to the rest of the pipe.

So they are removing all that is passing through the wall and replacing it with Class A pipe? If so that is good. Is this a cement wall? What is the orange coating, some sort of insulation?

8" fittings are going to be more expensive, but $50 for a tee cap seems a bit high. Normally the tee comes with the cap. Maybe consider just using elbows instead and pulling the pipe when it needs cleaning. The three, close 90º turns will probably need that anyway.