Q&A Project comparing wood and pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

My name is Amy Yergen and I am in the 5th grade. I am working on a science project that compares fuel pellets to wood for the amount of heat produced- and the amount of waste left. I have built a calorimeter to measure the calories of heat produced- and I will weigh the wood and pellets before burning and weigh the waste materials after.I printed the graph and the questions and information from your web site about fuel pellets and wood.I am interested in any other information you can give me about efficiency of fuel pellets and wood as heat sources.I went on a tour of a pellet plant in Yakima- Wa. and have samples of their product NATURAL GLOW. I also have Lignetics from Sandpoint- Idaho and ENVIROFUEL from Canada. I know that fuel pellets have less moisture than wood and that there are premium and standard pellets. I only have samples of premium pellets.I can't find any other brands of pellets locally and wondered if you might know of any other brands which I might find in Portland- Oregon or Seattle- Washington.

Answer:

WOW ! Sounds like you are doing it right. The bottom line is this...Pellets and wood have the same BTU content since they are both wood based...the efficiency of the appliance comes into play- but - in the field most Pellet Stoves and Woodstoves perform at the same % .Most all pellets sold to the public are premium ones- so the ones you have should do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.