Professional install, used 3M 3340 Tape

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mejim707

Jan 6, 2020
CT
So I had a professional install done. To seal the joint on the stove to the insulated pipe as well as the pipe joint inside, they used 3M 3340 tape. This is a tin tape with a sticky side. I just looked up the heat rating and it's rated up to 300 degrees. Seems legit. but, for the heck of it I looked up pellet stove pipe temp and it comes up at a whopping 500 degrees!!! Is this tape going to catch fire?

Google can be your friend, and enemy.

Please let me know from experience. The part I'm mainly concerned about is the pipe that exits the blower motor to the insulated pipe. They put the tape on this part.

Attachments

• Professional install, used 3M 3340 Tape
    IMG_4029.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 327
Tin tape will not burn just sort of melts to an ash
Try burning aluminum foil That's what happens
Note I have used it on my pipe for 19 years no problem.
My pipe has never reached 300 deg even with the stove running at max heat

Reactions: mejim707 and Ssyko
Just wandered down the basement and temped mine. 6th year with 6' of pipe, all joints taped with foil tape. It's 115 degrees at the elbow off the the stove, 105 @ elbow into thimble. Down to 14 degrees last night, running room temp mode @ 78 with feed rate of 3.5, burning Somersets with stove frt temp just under 500. She's purring. You won't have any problems with the tape.

Reactions: mejim707
Just wandered down the basement and temped mine. 6th year with 6' of pipe, all joints taped with foil tape. It's 115 degrees at the elbow off the the stove, 105 @ elbow into thimble. Down to 14 degrees last night, running room temp mode @ 78 with feed rate of 3.5, burning Somersets with stove frt temp just under 500. She's purring. You won't have any problems with the tape.

Thanks! Any how is that heat pump? Is it energy efficient? I'm running the single pellet stove for 3000sq ft. I also have a large wood stove as backup.

I was thinking about having a heat pump installed but I don't have any prior experience with them and I don't know how much they increase the energy bill.

The heat pump is okay. It's a Lennox Elite Series. It's 6 yrs old, I've been here 5 yrs. It was the original owners last attempt to keep warm! LOL. I had some service work done to it last summer. Really helped in the heating portion, always cooled real well. I now can run it down to the mid 30's outside and it does a decent job. Wouldn't use it below 40 before. It also has the "emergency" heating grid in it. Expensive to run on that, but makes serious expensive heat. Heat pump portion is just a reversible a/c unit. The harder/longer you run it, the more it cost to run. Just like any other heating/cooling device. I use the air exchange mode to move air/heat for the P61a. The new "mini split" heat pumps are supposed to be more efficient and you can then make zones with them.

The outside of the double wall pellet vent pipe is never even close to 300f. I dont think it makes it past 200f. I have never seen it hot enough to sizzle water

The outside of the double wall pellet vent pipe is never even close to 300f. I dont think it makes it past 200f. I have never seen it hot enough to sizzle water

You just reminded me that the old "will it sizzle spit" test was one of my go to temperature tests before inexpensive infrared thermometers came along;)

• Haha
Reactions: Marc S.
Good news, but the also put it on the pipe that's on the blower housing and this then wraps around the blower housing, to the outside of the insulated / double wall pipe. This is the part I'm mostly concerned about. Take a look at the image I posted. Not sure about this part.

Is that 3" pipe or 4" vent pipe, if its 4" vent pipe is there a proper 3" to 4" adaptor / transition under that tape, the tape should be fine regardless.

Good news, but the also put it on the pipe that's on the blower housing and this then wraps around the blower housing, to the outside of the insulated / double wall pipe. This is the part I'm mostly concerned about. Take a look at the image I posted. Not sure about this part.
I see what you are saying. .. Looks like they may not have used the proper connectors or something is missing and they tried to compensate with alot of tape. Almost looks like they put the pipe over the square outlet and taped the heck out of it? And it the pipe coming from the stove to the joint at the wall thimble the same size or smaller than the one going thru wall? Like they may have stuffed a piece of 3" inside a piece of 4" and taped it?

They did not use an appliance adapter so the turned the pipe backwards to fit on the stove exhaust fitting. Then butted the other ends together and tapped the joint by the thimbal. That is not acceptable and a very shoddy install.

It's all 3" pipe. And the adapter coming off the exhaust blower does convert from square to circular. It looks like the pipe connects and goes around the adapter. I look in the blower housing and this is what appears to be the case. Also, there's black sealant in there. But the tape, that's rated at 300 degrees, wraps around the pipe and onto the adapter that does not look like it's double layered. If the tape won't burn maybe it's ok. Not sure.

The tape won't burn but where it overlaps onto the single layer adapter it will get hot enough that eventually the glue will break down from the heat and it won;t be sealing there any more but if was sealed with sealant also you should be fine.