problem starting jotul after installed propane kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jstrat

Feb 13, 2015
ma
Followed the instruction for lighting stove when I push in the knob for the pilot I here a hissing and smell propane the hissing seems a little loud to me I have had gas fireplace and I don't remember hearing a hissing that loud when I lite the pilot. hit the striker several times pilot wont light the propane smell was strong so I shut down. any thoughts stove is jotul gf 300 dvm

Do you have the correct pilot orifice in the pilot assembly?
NG pilot orifices have larger holes due to lower gas pressures.

Do you have the correct pilot orifice in the pilot assembly?
NG pilot orifices have larger holes due to lower gas pressures.
yes the right on is in its smaller then the NG can you think of anything else, I do have it hooked up to a 20 lb tank with a 2 stage regulator

You SHOULD be able to hear LP. NG is a little tougher.
Obviously, if you can hear the gas hissing you have
left the glass front off. Are you getting a good Spark,
& is it arcing from the element to the pilot hood?
You don't need to have gas flowing to check that.

You SHOULD be able to hear LP. NG is a little tougher.
Obviously, if you can hear the gas hissing you have
left the glass front off. Are you getting a good Spark,
& is it arcing from the element to the pilot hood?
You don't need to have gas flowing to check that.
no the glass is in place spark is good

Take the glass off. You don't want heavier than air LP puddling below that spark.
It'll gradually fill the firebox & scare the absolute CRAP out of you when it ignites.
Pull the burner pan/tube & leak test the area around the pilot assembly'
before you try lighting it again...

Take the glass off. You don't want heavier than air LP puddling below that spark.
It'll gradually fill the firebox & scare the absolute CRAP out of you when it ignites.
Pull the burner pan/tube & leak test the area around the pilot assembly'
before you try lighting it again...
will do, but I think I should test the WC but I don't know how to adjust, where is the adjustment screw on the valve?

Status
Not open for further replies.