Priming Flue with an insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

inspecta83

Aug 24, 2015
new york
I have a VC Montpellier wood burning insert and am having trouble priming the flue for the first time in a while.

I use a hair dryer on the high setting pointed upwards inside of the insert for about 10 minutes, which usually does the trick. But for some reason today its not working (smoke is coming back into the house). Its 25 degrees here in NY. The hair dryer has worked for me on colder days than this.

I even went to Home Depot this morning and bought a heat gun (it produces hotter air than the blow dryer) but still getting smoke back into the house.

This sucks because I cant use the insert on a day like today which is what I bought it for in the first place.

Any suggestions?

How long since you cleaned the flue?

Lopi Endeavor
Lopi Republic
Northern tool 37t splitter

After using the blow dryer and heat gun today, i stick my hand in the insert and can still feel the cold air coming down the chimney. Usually after using the blow dryer, it does the trick so that I cant feel any cold air coming down the chimney with my hand.

September is along time ago if your wood is not dry enough. You can plug a cap pretty quick if you are burning wet wood.

A torch is hotter than a heat gun but I don't have that problem with my insert

Reactions: blacktail
Maybe try a candle or three, inside the stove and light them a good while before you want a fire. Should warm the unit up eventually and start to pull the right way. I think some folks have had luck with that.

I use a propane swirl flame torch and just park it in the opening of the door. Let it run for a minute and check to see no cold air exiting