Primary seconday piping with storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markmudd

Hearth Supporter
Nov 3, 2010
central MO
third82
I will be doing some modifications to my wood boiler piping system after heating season to run an additonal loop into my finished basement where I will install radiant. Currently have water to air HX set up, 500 gallons NP storage. With my set up now, storage runs thru boiler when drawing heat, which is not most efficient and I want to change this while doing the additional plumbing for the new loop. My system works great, just can't push air as far as I need to down into basement and more importantly want to get some low temp heating in this basement.

Lots of ways to pipe these systems which I have been studing (idronics , no fossil, Tarm site, master of sparks etc). I have non pressuized storage now , but will switch to pressurized during this project due to lots of used propane tanks for sale in my area. I am set up well to do a primary loop and pipe the boiler, high temp, low temp, storage secondaryloops into primary loop with closely spaced T's & circulators as needed just as shown inHot Rod's (Master of Sparks) posted sitcky at top of forum (from 2008) showing a primary seconday configuration. Obviously it does not have all details, and is conceptual, but it appears pretty simple. (good for me!) I understand the reducing of temperature after each loop concept of primary secondary design & need to have pupms sized properly etc.

Questions

1. Has anyone out there followed this general design? Are you happy with it?
2. When looking at the the way the buffer tank plumbing is shown on the drawing (assume pressized), it appears the circulator pumps hot water to bottom of tank and it returns from the bottom also. Wouldn't I want the pump to supply water from primary loop to into the bottom of tank and then return to primary loop off the top of tank? That way when drawing heat off tank, you would pull from top to get hottest water? I would plan to make up a manifold to weld into top and bottom of tank as others have discussed on this forum.

I only have about 7'10 cieling to work with, so storage will need to be hoizontal. 750-1000 gallons would fit the space and the boiler I have perfect.

Thanks for all your help. great site,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.