Primary air hot spot - Jotul f400 Castine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Propane_Poor

Oct 20, 2018
Ohio
Good evening all,

do you know if it's typical for there to be a hot spot in the coals near the front, even with the primary air turned mostly down?

I'm able to get good secondary burn, but the front center or the log nearest the door always tends to keep flaming and the coals under it are often glowing yellow.

I've tried repositioning, brushing the ashes away from the grate, checking the ashnpan door, and haven't noticed a change. So I wanted to ask if it was normal prior to looking into it in more detail.

Thanks!

Primary air hot spot - Jotul f400 Castine Primary air hot spot - Jotul f400 Castine Primary air hot spot - Jotul f400 Castine

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's set up like its big brother, the Oslo, air should be coming in from the center base of the firebox . . . and even when the air control is all the way "shut" it still allows in a certain amount of air.

Yes, there is boost air coming from the front center in the Castine too.

My VC Merrimack has the same thing. It's some kind of fixed air stream but I have no clue why. I'd like to Know more about its purpose.

I was thinking there were 2 air ports. Here is a picture with the fire died down and it shows only 1 spot. Does anyone recall how many ports there are?

Primary air hot spot - Jotul f400 Castine