Pretty Cheap Dutchwest on Ebay

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corie

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
Camp Hill, PA
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vermont-Casting...3QQihZ010QQcategoryZ41987QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm a bit attached to the dutchwest style so I'm biased. But a little work with a wire wheel, some stove black and a little elbow grease and this is a good cat stove for someone doing work on a budget.

I know there is a stigma attached to the dutchwest stoves, but this is a vermont castings model and with a little practice there is no reason it can't be a great heater for someone. When I finally buy a house and my own frigging stove, it will either be a dutchwest or a wood stock keystone.

Corie said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vermont-Castings-Dutchwest-Large-wood-stove-w-fan_W0QQitemZ200056091643QQihZ010QQcategoryZ41987QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm a bit attached to the dutchwest style so I'm biased. But a little work with a wire wheel, some stove black and a little elbow grease and this is a good cat stove for someone doing work on a budget.

I know there is a stigma attached to the dutchwest stoves, but this is a vermont castings model and with a little practice there is no reason it can't be a great heater for someone. When I finally buy a house and my own frigging stove, it will either be a dutchwest or a wood stock keystone.

My default preference is for a non-cat model, but the price on this is reasonable enough to cause me to be somewhat open minded. 8-/ For researching features and stuff like clearances and other install things is the current model 2641 info going to be close enough to work with, or can you point me at something more suitable?

I notice that this stove is setup with a vertical flue exit, can this easily be switched to horizontal on an old stove? (I MUST have a horizontal flue...) Also do you know if there are any options for lowering the install height of the stove? I haven't checked dimensons yet, but our for our setup that is the biggest constraint.

Thanks,

Gooserider

i may come off sounding kinda stupid with this question (i gotta learn more about VC), but wouldnt the flue attachment simply be turned 180 degrees to convert to horizontal flue??

Yeah, that flue collar is 45 degrees off the stove. Two bolts and flipping it changes the stove from horizontal to vertical. That is one of the lovely factors of the 45 degree flue collar. Maybe the next stove I design will have that type of flue collar, or at least the ability to top and rear vent. I feel like that flexibility is necessary.

stoveguy2esw said:
i may come off sounding kinda stupid with this question (i gotta learn more about VC), but wouldnt the flue attachment simply be turned 180 degrees to convert to horizontal flue??
That is the way the design works, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't something that got nasty to change once the stove had been burned in one configuration. I didn't expect it to be a problem, but wanted to be sure.

I have downloaded the current manual off the website and I am feeling really frustrated with a big information vaccuum. They don't list the height of the stock legs, just the overall height. Eyeballing the pictures, I'd guess the stock legs are around 6".

The owners manual MENTIONS that they have a 2" leg set as an option, but says NOTHING else about the short legs. They mention requirements for not using any legs (I don't think I can swing that) but there is nothing at all about what the requirements are for the short legs. Can one assume that they are the same as for stock, or what?

Because of the chimney configuration, my biggest single constraint on stove selection is the height of the flue connector which must be horizontal, and absolutely can't be more than about 32" (W/o needing significant masonry changes). According to the manual the stock flue is 30" which would fit, but be really tight. If I could use shorter legs it would really make for a better fit.

I had also been looking at the 2479 Large Non-Cat Everburn Dutchwest, which was the best match to what we would need to replace our old non-EPA unit. However the cost of a new stove isn't something we can deal with, so it I wasn't looking real hard. I hadn't really been looking at cat stoves before, so hadn't compared the cat and non-cat DW's. I've noticed that the cat stove on paper appears slightly smaller, and less powerful, I'm not sure how much difference this makes in "real world" terms though.

One of the problems is that I have no performance specs on the existing stove, so it's hard to tell how either of these compare to what we have. The current stove is a 1979 Pro-Former Model Z. It's a rolled steel plate sort-of air-tight stove, about 26" high, 30" long (takes a 28" log) with a blower on it. The fire box is sort of cylindrical, with the flue coming out of the middle of the side - the stove is much wider than it is deep. I've been told that this configuration was very common in that vintage stove, any guesses as to how it would compare to the large DW units?

Getting back to the DW stoves, the big difference is in the "area heated" recommendation - the 2461 says 8-1600 sqft, and the 2479 says 11-2400. How "real" is that difference, and how much of it is just differences in the way they figure it? We have about 1100 sqft on the 1st floor where the stove is, 500 on the second, and about 1100 in the basement which we aren't that worried about heating (beyond keeping it above freezing) Floor plan is fairly open, but the stove is on one end, not in the middle. Existing stove does a good, but not great job.

Another significant difference I noticed was that the 2461 says it's good for a 9hr burn, while the 2479 says 14hr. Again, how do real world results match up?

Gooserider

[quote author="Corie"

or a wood stock keystone.[/quote]

Yea!

Well, that one is gone...

Gooserider

Figured it wouldn't last too long. If I needed another stove, that would have been a great candidate. But the last thing I need at this minute is ANOTHER stove.

Corie said:
Figured it wouldn't last too long. If I needed another stove, that would have been a great candidate. But the last thing I need at this minute is ANOTHER stove.

Thanks anyway... Do you have any ideas on my earlier questions about comparing the cat and non-cat versions of that stove? I notice there seem to be a fair number of these on e-bay, and I'm not sure how much effort to put into looking at them. Also what is a reasonable price for an older 2461?

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.