Pressure Storage Piping Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiken

Hearth Supporter
Jul 8, 2008
NW IL>
I am going to add 2-500 gallon LP tanks stacked horizontally to my EKO 40 system this fall.

I ran last year with no storage with a primary/secondary system with the boiler tied on to it.

1. If I use the storage for a hydraulic seperator should I use the storage as part of the primary loop or should I just manifold off the top and bottom of the two tanks and eliminate the primary loop?pump?

2. Is this rough diagram piped correctly for water flows or should I tee the boiler and load togeather external of the tanks.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Pressure Storage Piping Questions
    IMG_0040.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 256
This is the classic simplest approach to plumbing storage - I describe a variant in the 'simplest pressurized storage' sticky. The way you have it drawn (with separate connections at the top and bottom of storage for both primary and secondary loops) has the advantage that it virtually guarantees that you won't get 'ghost flow' through the boiler when it's not operating. The disadvantage is that you will get some degree (maybe a lot) of mixing in the top of storage when you're trying to heat your loads directly from the boiler and storage is cold. That can result in some delay in getting heat when you're starting with everything cold.

You have to have two (or more) circulators, since the primary loop and secondary loop operate independently of each other, and often at different flow rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.