Preserving the Tomato Harvest

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Northern NH Mike

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Nov 2, 2008
Northern NH
I harvested and am processing my first large batch of San Marzano and Ross Sicilian tomatoes today. Quartered, heated, put through a food mill and now concentrating them down for jars to freeze. Has anyone concentrated tomatoes based on sugar content? I make maple syrup so the thought of measuring sugar level crossed my mind. A bit of research indicated that tomatoes come off the vine between 3 and 5 Brix and a balanced sauce is between 6 and 9 Brix. Paste runs between 24 and 28 Brix.

Also curious on how others preserve their harvest.

All the best.

We grow paste tomatoes with a bit higher sugar content. Our process is to roast them in a large cassorole pan with onions, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper for the reduction. Then this mix gets blended in the food mill. It comes out the best sauce that is then canned. My wife also freezes some for addition to future meals.

Reactions: Northern NH Mike
Thanks begreen. I made paste a couple of seasons back using the same oven pan method. They tasted like candy they were so sweet. I got my reduction down to 8 Brix this afternoon, bottled and will freeze the jars for later use. Kept the tomatoes unseasoned so I can use them however.

My wife told me she freezes some plain too. And we dried some in the dehydrator that came out nicely.

My wife told me she freezes some plain too. And we dried some in the dehydrator that came out nicely.
I'm lazy. Freeze them whole and when I want to use they run 'em under hot water for 30 seconds. Skin peals right off and I drop 'em whatever I'm making.

The sauces and pastes sound good but did I say I am lazy.

Reactions: johneh and EbS-P
I'm lazy. Freeze them whole and when I want to use they run 'em under hot water for 30 seconds. Skin peals right off and I drop 'em whatever I'm making.

The sauces and pastes sound good but did I say I am lazy.
Pinesmoke, try making the paste in the oven, it is so worth it.

Reactions: Pinesmoke
I just showed the wife this and sounds like she's going to give it a try.
It's the way we always make our sauce or with less seasoning, reduced tomatoes for freezing. It's easier, faster, and the results are great.

I showed it to the wife too. Going to try as well.

There are a lot of recipes out there. Here's one.

We blanch until it slips the skin and freeze/vacuumpack.

We do an assortment. Sometimes I just freeze whole, halved or quartered tomatoes for use or processing later. I also like to freeze some cherry tomatoes to make “burst cherry tomato sauce” as a quick sauce when needed. Sometimes we simply puree paste tomatoes and freeze. Sometimes we dehydrate tomatoes as my kids, particularly child number three, will eat dried tomatoes just like candy. A favorite for us, though, is to can my mom’s recipe for homemade tomato soup for eating during the winter, particularly welcome if we get a good enough snowstorm for a day of sledding. It’s a tradition from my childhood that I’m happy to pass on to my own kids now.

In answer to the original question, though, we have never concerned ourselves with Brix measurements, but I have read of those who use them with tomatoes. We also make a bit of maple syrup from time to time. My mother grew up in Vermont so planted a sugar maple in Virginia about fifty years ago. She taps the one tree and makes a bit of syrup on the woodstove each year.

Your cherry tomato reference reminded me of something y'all should try.

Cut em in half and run under water while you squeeze out the guts

Saute in olive oil with garlic and any fresh herbs you prefer.

Saute them a while till everything melts.

Pour over pasta

A friend made that for me in Italy and it's wonderful.