Premium splitting wedges

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

StihlKicking

Feeling the Heat
Jan 12, 2016
Hatchie Bottom, MS
Anybody got any real world experience with any of the high end splitting wedges from companies like Helko or gransfors? I’m not in the market for one but really just wonder what the difference in a $20 dollar vs $100 wedge is other than the name.

Anybody got any real world experience with any of the high end splitting wedges from companies like Helko or gransfors? I’m not in the market for one but really just wonder what the difference in a $20 dollar vs $100 wedge is other than the name.
I've also been curious about this.

The cheap ones split wood. The expensive ones...

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Quality in steel and manufacturing I would presume. I have two gransfors axes and the quality in the steel is way better than the crap you buy at box stores. For me it’s also nice to know someone hand forged the axe head instead of some Chinese factory pumped out crappy axe. I understand thinking differently about wedges though. Kind of seems unnecessary to spend top dollar for something you are going to beat into a log with a sledge hammer.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Quality in steel and manufacturing I would presume. I have two gransfors axes and the quality in the steel is way better than the crap you buy at box stores. For me it’s also nice to know someone hand forged the axe head instead of some Chinese factory pumped out crappy axe. I understand thinking differently about wedges though. Kind of seems unnecessary to spend top dollar for something you are going to beat into a log with a sledge hammer.

I also have 2 gransfor axes along with a few other ones from “premium” manufacturers. These quality made tools are a pleasure to use and actually make the work easier compared to some lesser tools I’ve used. In my mind I just can’t see there being much difference in how one piece of steel splits a log any better than another, assuming it is wedge shaped. I know people who feel the same way about axes, these are the people who also tell me that “an axe really doesn’t need to be very sharp”. I don’t think they actually use axes very much. I don’t use wedges very much, but I am curious if a $100 wedge actually splits wood better.

I also have 2 gransfor axes along with a few other ones from “premium” manufacturers. These quality made tools are a pleasure to use and actually make the work easier compared to some lesser tools I’ve used. In my mind I just can’t see there being much difference in how one piece of steel splits a log any better than another, assuming it is wedge shaped. I know people who feel the same way about axes, these are the people who also tell me that “an axe really doesn’t need to be very sharp”. I don’t think they actually use axes very much. I don’t use wedges very much, but I am curious if a $100 wedge actually splits wood better.
I think the design might make a difference. I've used both the traditional steel wedge, the grenade style, and an old maul head, but never a twisty one. Definitely a difference between the three styles I've used, all good in different application. But over the years the grenade style bent, and is in retirement until I can figure out how to straighten it.

It would be fun to try the twisty steel one, one of the aluminum ones, and one that's plastic. Based on what I've done to solid steel, I have no idea how the aluminum and plastic ones hold up, but they must somehow based on how expensive they are and the companies that sell them. Alas, unless I run across one at a garage sale or a friend has one, I'm way too cheap to ever buy one for myself when the steel ones are cheap and readily available.

Reactions: StihlKicking
Anyone with a hatchet, a saw, and 2-3 inch hardwood limbs can make the equivalent of plastic wedges as needed and when needed.

There is a difference in wedges, to be sure. Back in the day we had to watch out for cheap wedges that would shatter. I do not know if such still are out there as I have not needed a new wedge since, oh, ever. I'm still using granddad's - and he died of old age nearly 30 years ago.

Anyone with a hatchet, a saw, and 2-3 inch hardwood limbs can make the equivalent of plastic wedges as needed and when needed.

There is a difference in wedges, to be sure. Back in the day we had to watch out for cheap wedges that would shatter. I do not know if such still are out there as I have not needed a new wedge since, oh, ever. I'm still using granddad's - and he died of old age nearly 30 years ago.
I don't mean plastic felling wedges, I'm talking about plastic splitting wedges.

Premium splitting wedges

Reactions: RandyBoBandy