Preferred firewood length for Green Mountain 40?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ThereAreGoats

Mar 31, 2022
Brooklyn
Hi all,

For owners of the Green Mountain 40, what are your preferred split lengths? It takes a max of 16" but just curious what people actually use.

Thanks a bunch,
Robert

Go with 16’ max

I use 16’ pieces that are cut to length with a processing machine (so they are right at 16) they work great.

Smaller pieces will work but you won’t be maximizing the stove and around me smaller than 16’ pieces come at an extra cost. Also I find smaller pieces harder to stack well.

If you use anything bigger you may be able to fit one piece in at a time at an angle but this is a huge pain.

If I run into a bunch of wood that was cut to long (I got some 18’+ pieces at a great deal a couple years back) I will cut them in half and load them north/south. This works great as well.