Prefab chimney repair or replace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pnoble

Nov 25, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I have an Oliver and Macleod prefab insulated chimney (HT3000, 6" I.D.). I just had my seasonal sweep done and the lining inside the 90 degree elbow is flaking off, exposing the insulation. Clearly not safe to use. The remaining sections are fine. I'm trying to understand my options because my chimney runs up a chase on the side of my house that has a stucco exterior finish. I'm hoping to avoid an exterior home reno just to replace the prefab chimney pipe. Finding a replacement elbow is unlikely due to the age of the system (25+ years). Is it possible to run a new liner down the inside of the existing prefab chimney, or is a whole system replacement my only option?

Thanks in advance.

Where is the 90º elbow? In the room interior (stovepipe)? 90º elbows aren't made for exterior use. Pictures will help.

Thanks for your reply. Perhaps I'm mislabeling it a 90º elbow. I've included a few pictures. The wood stove is in my basement and the prefab chimney goes through the exterior wall below grade into my garage, where the chase begins. The prefab section turns 90º and travels straight up 2-storeys inside the chase. The part that has failed is the inside wall of the circled section.

Prefab chimney repair or replace? Prefab chimney repair or replace? Prefab chimney repair or replace?

Ah, that would be a TEE section. The chimney pipe will need to be replaced. In Canada, ICC Excel or SBI (Ventis) chimney products are very good.

Hi all, I have an Oliver Maclean wood stove and it has the HT3000 chimney attached to it. I have been trying to find a 2 foot section for it for over a week. The HT3000 chimney has not been made for many years. I am thinking the only way we are going to find parts for it is through a forum like this where someone is going to dismantle theirs and sell the pieces to someone like me lol. Anyone out there willing to sell a section. Mine had been rarely used but it too is enclosed by stucco on the outside of the house. I only need to add the 2 foot section to the top of the chimney. Thanks.

What is an HT3000 chimney?

I was in the same boat as you 5 years ago. I found a used section on Kijiji after a couple of months of searching. That kept me going until this year, when my Tee section failed. I ended up biting the bullet and having my HT3000 chimney replaced with an ICC product. The installers took the old chimney with them when they installed the new one. In case you're feeling like this was a missed opportunity, I wouldn't have been comfortable selling you a section given its regular use, age, and probability of failure.

Use to be made by Oliver MacLeod. Double walled 2 inch insulated chimney. They talk about it in the thread above.
Thanks. Confusing naming due to Drolet having a stove by the same name. This chimney is an oldie, replaced by the HT6000. Security discontinued the entire Oliver Macleod line around 2016. If the pipe is failing it's likely other parts are aging too. Better to replace the whole thing.

Last edited: