PPE Logging Helmet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm aware of the Husky helmet set up ( mask, earmuff, helmet)
Who makes a descent one for the weekend warriors .. and were to buy .. Not the $300+ pro setup.
Thanks

Reactions: Lone_Gun
I got a stihl hard hat with adjustable head and and suspension system. It has a flip down screen and muffs. It was fairly expensive but totally worth it. I also have a stihl earmuff/screen combo without a hard hat. Before the Stihl stuff I had a Husky power pack setup but drove over the helmet with my tractor.... At this point I'm glad because this setup is way better.

I ordered the husky kit online and bought the Stihl stuff at my dealer. We shall see if they get more stuff...

Unless you’re doing felling, buy chaps before a helmet. Most chainsaw injuries are leg contact injuries, something like 20:1 more common than head or face injuries. Helmets are for felling trees, to protect you from falling limbs, more than the saw itself. Chaps and boots are for protecting you from the saw, which is what you need when bucking wood already on the ground.

Not the $300+ pro setup.

"Husqvarna ProForest Chain Saw Helmet System"
upload_2019-9-11_14-4-17.png

The visor seems to be a metal mesh.
The plastic surround can crack around the bottom, not much, but just saying.
Otherwise is holding up very well. $60
No ear plugs, no glasses, goes on if the saw is running.
Cuts chainsaw noise down to nill. Can't hear a conversation with it on.
Slips on quick with not extra straps, just like job sight hardhats.
Really like it when it's windy, cold, snotty weather - snug as a bug with it on.

Reactions: SpaceBus
"Husqvarna ProForest Chain Saw Helmet System"
View attachment 247565
The visor seems to be a metal mesh.
The plastic surround can crack around the bottom, not much, but just saying.
Otherwise is holding up very well. $60
No ear plugs, no glasses, goes on if the saw is running.
Cuts chainsaw noise down to nill. Can't hear a conversation with it on.
Slips on quick with not extra straps, just like job sight hardhats.
Really like it when it's windy, cold, snotty weather - snug as a bug with it on.

Have the same one, been very happy with its fit and how it has held up.

upload_2019-9-11_14-4-17-png.png
I have the same one up in Canada . .The ear muffs have fallen off and the helmet is cracked ..I use it maybe twice a year.. At home I have a Forester set up , chaps, vest , Helmet etc..
forester-adjustable-length-35-42-wrap-around-chainsaw-chaps-safety-green-3.jpg
Just looking to see what out there that I didn't know about..

I have the same one up in Canada . .The ear muffs have fallen off and the helmet is cracked ..I use it maybe twice a year..
Mine gets a lot of use spring and fall for a lot of years.
Cracked helmet and busted pcs means something smacked it pretty hard or it got tossed around.
Something doesn't add up.

Helmets are for felling trees
And at least here for keeping the brush and briars from slashing me in the head and face. I can work and pay attention to the saw, not the stuff around waiting to get at me. One branch slap is enough to say nuts to that, get the head gear on. It may not prevent a chain from doing damage, but I can concentrate on what I'm doing - which means safer all around for me.

And at least here for keeping the brush and briars from slashing me in the head and face. I can work and pay attention to the saw, not the stuff around waiting to get at me. One branch slap is enough to say nuts to that, get the head gear on. It may not prevent a chain from doing damage, but I can concentrate on what I'm doing - which means safer all around for me.
It helps when you can't hear the bos and her ( know it all ) suggestions..

Definitely. There are many good reasons to have a helmet, I was just pointing out the primary intent. The issue I see is that many firewood cutters, who will never fell a tree, go and buy a saw and a helmet. They often ignore the piece of PPE that would serve them much better when bucking logs on the ground: chaps.

Reactions: Zack R
View attachment 247604

Now I'm seriously rethinking the gloves I wear. Lots of dots on that guys hand.

I have witnessed five chainsaw injuries myself, or the aftermath thereof:

(1) foot cut off
(2) leg cut
(2) left hand

The most memorable was the foot, I was 8 years old and sitting in the emergency room with a broken arm, when that victim arrived. He was an arborist, hopping into the ER on one foot, and one of his co-workers was carrying half of his other foot in an Igloo lunch cooler. Needless to say, my broken arm had to wait awhile longer, after he arrived.

He was an arborist
When I hear that story, makes me wonder if he somehow swung or leaned uncontrollably into the saw.
Somewhere I read that tripping over stuff on the ground is high on the list of reasons for injuries. Ends up I click the chain break on and off a lot when moving around.
Got to look into those gloves too.

I only wear my helmet when felling trees, but I wear my chaps/boots/gloves//safety glasses/hearing protection anytime the chainsaw is in use.

Although I don't have the data available to back it up it seems like limbing and walking around with a running saw (not with the chainbrake on) are the most hazardous. For this reason I lock the chainbrake whenever the saw is running but not actively in use. I could easily see how someone could clip their leg with the bar of a running saw while tripping over a branch while walking around limbing.

On another note its been a long time since I've used a dull saw but I imagine many homeowners/occasional users are injured trying to force a dull saw to cut (pushing harder, more fatigue, more frustration and less focus). The same goes for getting the bar stuck when bucking, trying to pull it free and such (instead of tapping a wedge so it doesn't get stuck to begin with).

Basically the same analogy as busting your knuckles when trying to loosen a tough bolt with pliers instead of the correct wrench

Reactions: Knots and Ashful
When I hear that story, makes me wonder if he somehow swung or leaned uncontrollably into the saw.
I was very young, so I may not remember all of the details, but I was told he was working up in the tree. He was a climber, and somehow slipped or lost the saw while up in the tree. Whether it was him dropping the saw while it was running on full throttle, or the throttle caught on something and spun the saw up while it was dangling from his tether, I do not know.

Reactions: Sawset