Pot Belly blog

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Came across this long compilation of articles on pot belly stoves. It's fun reading and seeing what folks used day to day when it was the sole source of heat. I winced a bit at some of the 20' horizontal single wall pipe runs. Must have been fun to clean. And only $4.95 for a new AcmeGiant stove. Woo hoo, now that's a Black Friday sale!

http://tinyurl.com/ygol87f

The Shakers had 50 foot horizontal runs in singlewall. They shared a central flue also.

Up until 3 years ago, our cabin had a potbelly with 5" singlewall that went up, through a vented wall thimble, and then up to a cap. All singlewall. It was like that since 1952. When I tore it down I had soot in the outside elbow, but no creosote.

Matt

how is that possible? no creosote. with all that single wall. you must have been running that cherry red

*shrug* Really dry wood? Potbellies have really small doors so the largest hunk of wood that would fit in it was maybe a 5" by 5" square. Most of the stuff I fit in was 2x4 sized and maybe 4" long. I guarantee it was not run cherry red. At least I never ran it that hot. Although there wasn't much air control on it. I could see around the insglass and I had a flue damper. The 90 going vertical had an inch or two of soot in it when I took it down. My grandfather ran both wood and coal through it. Coal wouldn't do much to add to crap in the flue, but the wood could have. I doubt it was ever swept. I never found anything for sweeping it in the cabin.

Matt

Thank's for the link BG very good.

EatenByLimestone said:
The Shakers had 50 foot horizontal runs in singlewall. They shared a central flue also.

Up until 3 years ago, our cabin had a potbelly with 5" singlewall that went up, through a vented wall thimble, and then up to a cap. All singlewall. It was like that since 1952. When I tore it down I had soot in the outside elbow, but no creosote.

Matt

Ya gotta think they were doing some things right. Folks lived by the heat from these stoves for many decades. Now they are history.

Status
Not open for further replies.