Post-install thoughts (insert)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Zerotonine

Jun 26, 2019
Minnesota
Had my insert put in last month (Hearthstone Clydesdale), finally got the city permit closed, and was able to have a few fires. I have 2 things chewing at me:

1) I think the new chimney cap wheezes in the wind. I can hear it with the door to the insert closed. Has anyone experienced this, and what can be done to remedy? For all I know the pre-insert chimney cap wheezed too (I doubt it) - there was a massive damper blocking the noise.
I'd love a damper in the new SS flue liner, but i don't see that happening.

2) no block-off plate was installed. Chimney is 1/2 interior, 1/2 exterior. The top (at chimney cap) is sealed, and no exterior air intrusion can be detected. I can still get at/around the insert a little bit, but the unit weighs 550 lbs and there's no moving it. I did find this thread , which is helpful, but I would need to make something with 2 halves. Would a multi-piece block-off plate be worth the effort?

Thanks.

The weezing could be from the cap, or from the air intake on the stove. The air intake does not cl.ose fully on newer stoves, and if the stove is drafting, even a little, it could be sucking air through the intake. Mine does it on windy days. Not much can be done, and you will get used it it in time.

You want a block off. Multi piece block off plate is fine. 2 or 3 pcs is not unusual.