Post Hole Digger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Albergsteve beat me to it, no way I would tackle that job with a power mixer of any kind. Concrete is heavy as h*ll and if you don't know what your doing, you can end up with a giant catastrophe. You only get one shot to get it right.

Agreed. You not only have to store them, but you also need to maintain them. I too am reducing rarely used tools and supporting our local tool library more.

I've come to the same conclusion with tractor implements. I think long and hard before I buy one now. I have a 40HP tractor that will do a lot of work, and have used it for smaller clearing jobs. I also have a Dozer guy I can call that charges me $100 an hour with a minimum of 4 hours, and he's not a clock watcher. Compare and contrast what I can do with my tractor in 4 hours compared to what he can do with his dozer in 4 hours, and theirs a huge difference. Getting back to tractor attachments, if i truly think I need one after thinking on it for a while, I buy new. I've had bad experiences buying used, and buying other peoples problems.

Reactions: SpaceBus
My current (big) project is building a ground-mount PV solar array that will also be a carport. I started out using my PHD on a 32 HP tractor to install footers and found that even a relatively small well-placed rock can stop you cold. I've found the 3Pt. PHD to be very limited in usefulness generally. I ended up renting a mini-ex and really made a mess of things trying to find a way through the bedrock to get my electrical conduit at least 18" below grade. You can see some of the rocks in the photo below. I'd already hauled off most of the larger ones.

I do mix my own concrete, primarily because I have a mixer and can do it on my own schedule. We can't even get concrete delivery here on a weekend when friends are available to help. I can also make it cheaper -- 4000 PSI DIY about $115/yd. Readymix is $153/yd plus truck fees and a $100 fee for loads less than 5 yd. I also have to schedule delivery 6 days ahead. My life is not that organized.

DIY concrete is a workout but I'm hoping to take advantage of the front end loader on my tractor to make it easier this time. I've got a plan and will post back to report results - if I can lift my arms to type.
IMG_20190901_100834.jpg IMG_20190908_174026.jpg Annotation 2019-10-10 092829.png

My current (big) project is building a ground-mount PV solar array that will also be a carport. I started out using my PHD on a 32 HP tractor to install footers and found that even a relatively small well-placed rock can stop you cold. I've found the 3Pt. PHD to be very limited in usefulness generally. I ended up renting a mini-ex and really made a mess of things trying to find a way through the bedrock to get my electrical conduit at least 18" below grade. You can see some of the rocks in the photo below. I'd already hauled off most of the larger ones.

I do mix my own concrete, primarily because I have a mixer and can do it on my own schedule. We can't even get concrete delivery here on a weekend when friends are available to help. I can also make it cheaper -- 4000 PSI DIY about $115/yd. Readymix is $153/yd plus truck fees and a $100 fee for loads less than 5 yd. I also have to schedule delivery 6 days ahead. My life is not that organized.

DIY concrete is a workout but I'm hoping to take advantage of the front end loader on my tractor to make it easier this time. I've got a plan and will post back to report results - if I can lift my arms to type.
View attachment 248937 View attachment 248938 View attachment 248939
I would love to see updates on this. Unfortunately my local rental is $350/day for a mini ex, but I do wish to bury some conduit next summer.

The only downside to the big truck is access. Most of my land isn't developed and those trucks aren't known for being nimble.

True, but you would be surprised where you can get a concrete truck and or pump if you try. The only concrete work I would do by hand is for fence posts, anything larger (like a slab) I'd hire out.

Reactions: SpaceBus
102_1442.JPG102_1441.JPG102_1440.JPG
I hired this done. I have a mini ex, more like a mini mini ex, and it would have taken me days. 400+ feet, $100 per hour, about 4.5 hours. I placed the conduit, 250 PSI 1.25" poly pipe and backfilled. 102_1442.JPG102_1441.JPG102_1440.JPG

My Unimog SEE backhoe came with an optional "rock bucket" designed for the rocky soil. Its a heavy duty bucket with four carbide tipped claws hanging off the back of the bucket and the normal teeth are also very beefy. It wont go through granite but very impressive if the rock has any fractures in it. It also came with a hydraulic rock drill and jackhammer that runs off a hydraulic hose reel on the back of truck that i fed from the hydraulics. I have not had to use the handheld tools yet as I managed to go through everything I have needed to with the bucket. I expect the military paid a big premium for the bucket and not a lot of the SEEs came with them. The trade off with the bucket is its hard to make a neat hole and I have to stay well away from any conduits.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
As cheap as I am, sometimes it's better to just "pay the man".
About the only "man" I pay is the septic tank pumper.
I guess one of my primary motivations for DIY is knowing that I'm learning something. Of course, what I learn sometimes is that "maybe I should have hired this out."
Whether that's true or not I derive pride from DIY. I also have a much deeper appreciation for the work that others do; e.g. roofers, plumbers, arborists, carpenters, etc.

I guess one of my primary motivations for DIY is knowing that I'm learning something. Of course, what I learn sometimes is that "maybe I should have hired this out."
Whether that's true or not I derive pride from DIY. I also have a much deeper appreciation for the work that others do; e.g. roofers, plumbers, arborists, carpenters, etc.

Most of the time I do stuff myself because I don't like to pay for someone to do something poorly, but there are always exceptions. The guy who currently fixes my truck does great work at a reasonable price, but once I have a place to work on stuff, I won't be taking it there anymore.

Reactions: sloeffle
My Unimog SEE backhoe came with an optional "rock bucket" designed for the rocky soil. Its a heavy duty bucket with four carbide tipped claws hanging off the back of the bucket and the normal teeth are also very beefy. It wont go through granite but very impressive if the rock has any fractures in it. It also came with a hydraulic rock drill and jackhammer that runs off a hydraulic hose reel on the back of truck that i fed from the hydraulics. I have not had to use the handheld tools yet as I managed to go through everything I have needed to with the bucket. I expect the military paid a big premium for the bucket and not a lot of the SEEs came with them. The trade off with the bucket is its hard to make a neat hole and I have to stay well away from any conduits.

I'd love to have some hydraulic tools like that. So far I've been able to remove or break all but a few really giant boulders with a FEL grapple, but I'm sure there will be plenty that won't budge no matter what.

Depending on the type of rock, an electric rock drill with the right carbide impact bit will drill holes in rock. Then use some of this stuff
It works well on rock if the directions are followed, not so good on concrete if there is lots of rebar in it.

Reactions: Ashful and SpaceBus
Depending on the type of rock, an electric rock drill with the right carbide impact bit will drill holes in rock. Then use some of this stuff
It works well on rock if the directions are followed, not so good on concrete if there is lots of rebar in it.

I've heard of this type of removal before, thanks for the link.

DIY is great until it cost you time and money to do something while you could be doing something more beneficial. For instance, if I needed a bolt, I could go to the shop and make one. I could turn the thread, hex the head, cut it to length, and go use it. I could also save myself time and money by buying one for 29 cents.

That is the point I was attempting to make about renting a mini ex for dirt work. If it cost more in time and money to rent one than have someone dig the hole, the reasonable thing to do is pay the person and invest your time in something more profitable.

If you are bored and have nothing else to do, it may be viewed as entertainment to rent a mini ex instead of paying someone to do it for less. I however have more than enough to keep me busy until I fall over. Between a full time job and building the house I have pretty much been working 7 days a week for two years. Reading Spacebus' journey, I think he probably has more than enough to keep himself busy.

Reactions: SpaceBus and Ashful
DIY is great until it cost you time and money to do something while you could be doing something more beneficial. For instance, if I needed a bolt, I could go to the shop and make one. I could turn the thread, hex the head, cut it to length, and go use it. I could also save myself time and money by buying one for 29 cents.

That is the point I was attempting to make about renting a mini ex for dirt work. If it cost more in time and money to rent one than have someone dig the hole, the reasonable thing to do is pay the person and invest your time in something more profitable.

If you are bored and have nothing else to do, it may be viewed as entertainment to rent a mini ex instead of paying someone to do it for less. I however have more than enough to keep me busy until I fall over. Between a full time job and building the house I have pretty much been working 7 days a week for two years. Reading Spacebus' journey, I think he probably has more than enough to keep himself busy.
Ha, my list is never ending! I have learned in the short year we've been at this house that there is a time and place to hire things out. Like your perfect example. The mini ex rental locally is outrageous, but I bet an experienced operator (not me) on a hoe or excavator would make short work of the 100 or so feet of trench we need dug. At first I wanted to pay someone to remodel our house, but so far I'm doing a better job than most folks. Like you my wife is working two jobs with her nurse job and helping me with the house. I'm medically retired and basically work at home full time. Once the house is done hopefully I can do some work that pays in liquid currency rather than home equity ;lol

Reactions: sloeffle

I guess it all depends on your wage and your age. If I earn a high wage, and a few hours of overtime will cover the repair I hire it done. On top of that if I earn a high wage and am close to retirement, hire it done. If I'm 25 and earning a lower wage, you bet I'll learn how and do it myself.

Reactions: Ashful

View attachment 248937 View attachment 248938 View attachment 248939

Calculate the weight of the concrete, and cross that with the capacity of your bucket. With the weight of concrete you'll want loaded rear tires, or a 3 point weight. Too much weight on your front axles and you risk snapping an axle.

Reactions: semipro