Possibly the dumbest ? ever posted

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AtTheBeach

Aug 28, 2019
Vermont
Can you hear fire burning sounds with a new energy efficient wood-burning stove? I assume no since the door is sealed shut and the ambience is visual, not audial?

Can you hear fire burning sounds with a new energy efficient wood-burning stove? I assume no since the door is sealed shut and the ambience is visual, not audial?
Yes you can hear it a bit

With any stove, old school or new, the door is going to block a lot of the snap, crackle and pop of the wood. It will still be there but muted.

I think some stoves come with a "screen door" accessory. Probably not great for efficiency, but could be deployed at times when peak fire ambiance is required...

Reactions: Zack R
The ting ting ting of the stove heating up will be mostly what you hear, then it will be mostly silent.

You can ear it a little bit but it will not be like an open fire in a fireplace. If your stove has a blower, you’ll just hear the blower.

See . . . it really wasn't a dumb question!

If you want a little more snap, crackle and pop you can always toss in some wells seasoned softwood. I find eastern white cedar gives a nice sound show.

Reactions: Dmitry
My dumb question list is the recurring ones that could easily be searched for...

"WHEN IS THE GUMMINT COMING TO TAKE MAH STOVE" is a perennial favorite, along with "what wood stove should I buy, it needs to look pretty and heat a regular sized house".

I'm personally adding any post with the word "ambiance" in it to my list. I don't know why, but once they type that word, you just know it's time to eject from the thread. ;)

Mine is: "I live in a small house on a small lot, I have no room for wood storage and I want to install the stove as a corner install." Drives me crazy.

Actually a good question. I also like to hear a crackling open fire but the epa wood stove secondary flames put on quite a show and more than make up for the muted sounds.

While I did not get a woodstove for the ambiance ;) . . . I do admit I do like the view of the fire and listening to the subdued sounds of crackling and the dull roar of the draft so maybe I do like it for its ambiance.

Sorry Jetsam . . . just had to do it.

Reactions: bholler
I normally burn hardwoods but a pine split snuck into my pile and this morning it was my starter split that I further split to kindling. It was popping quite a bit. I usually crack the door a bit until the fire gets roaring so mostly what I hear is a deep rumble of the roaring fire growing, until I latch the door closed.

Pro tip:

Find some dry cherry infested with carpenter ants. Did this last year on accident. Opening the stove got dangerous.

I can hear the air rushing through my Jotul Oslo if the room is very quiet. A nice sound, I like it.