Positioning Of Flue Temp Probe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

turbocruiser

Feeling the Heat
Jun 10, 2011
Rocky Mountains Majesty
Fine folks, hi, I wanted to ask everyone about how much the positioning of temperature probes matters to getting really meaningful readings. I know the typical position to put a probe is 18" above the stove top but in the case of my Regency i3100 insert, I was only able to put the probe 4" above the stove top due to the fact that as the liner goes up the chimney there isn't room to reach any higher and place a probe. I also didn't want to put a probe into a flexible liner so I put the probe into the flue connector piece that connects the stove to the liner.

Is there any commonly agreed on wisdom or experience to essentially "convert" my temps measured at just 4" above the stove to what they would be at 18" above the stove? I can't imagine there would really be really big differences but I have no way to know that for a fact.

Perhaps someone here has more than one probe placed at different heights in the same pipe and can tell me the difference in temp and the difference in height? Thanks in advance.

Its all relative. Experiment until you figure out what temp probe reading gives your individual install its optimum performance/output. If your going to use this temp reading to judge when to begin reducing primary air it can be a experiment until you develop a baseline. My opinion.

Reactions: XmasTreefarmer
That's right. The flue readings at that location are going to be relative to the installation. They will be higher than if the probe was placed at 18" but how much higher is TBD. A guess would be 100-150º, but that's just spitballing it.

Just adding pics of my flue probe (Auber Instruments AT200 w/ 4" probe) location here in case someone ends up looking for an example. I, like others have mentioned, favored the idea of placing the probe at the appliance connector vs trying to get a couple more inches of probe height placing it in the liner only.

I must say, I really wish this flue temp probe/gauge was part of my original install plan. I am fairly certain I have under and over-fired the liner which is a terrible combination of events,,,

Positioning Of Flue Temp Probe Positioning Of Flue Temp Probe

Yes, if we still had the fireplace and I was installing an insert, I would definitely plan on having a digital probe setup.

Reactions: Highbeam