Popcorn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerry100

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 16, 2008
NY Capitol Region
well, my brother in law and my nephew have gotten real good at popping corn over the campfire over the summer.

Bad news is that I can't tolerate the microwave bag stuff any longer.

Good news is that I'll have a hot wood stove near my recliner soon.

Any tips on a good woodstove top popper?

I use the microwave to pop popcorn once in a blue moon . . . but I don't buy that over-priced microwavable crapola . . . I just put some kernels in a paper bag, fold it over and microwave it for a few minutes. Just add melted butter . . . for a tasty treat.

I've used jiffy pop , with an added handle and hearth gloves , but you need coals not flames.

How hot does it need to be? At 650F stove top is not hot enough? Popcorn pops at 212F.

I'm eating air popped corn right now. If the power is out we fry the kernels in a blob of coconut oil in a saucepan. Microwave corn is not purchased at our house.

- report back gerry100 let us know how it goes. They make thin aluminum ones with a crank stirring on top. Whirrly Pop I think.

Last edited:
I love make my own kettle corn. Love using my Willy pop stove top popper. I haven't tried it on the wood stove yet though

getting ready to fire up a Country Canyon ST310, top temps run 450-500 when it's planed out.

Thought I'd find a simple answer. May have to go for a a Wiily or something like it, if it doesn't work on the woodstove I can use it on the kitchen stove

We just use a simple sauce pan with a lid on the range. Never tried it on the woodstove. A little bacon grease makes the best popcorn!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.