Poor draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

marty319

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2014
Belair mb
Recently replaced enviro kodiak with osburn 2300.i know its warmer out right now but had somewhat poor draft with the enviro and same with the osburn as temp was around -3 here this morning.i have 9 feet of supervent and 5 feet of doublewall.should i add another 3 feet of supervent and i guess i will need a chimney support as well ?wood is 2 year seasoned pine.

Attachments

• Poor draft
    20201010_155154.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 118
That might work, but first take that cap off and get something that has less restriction to it.

Only 1 other cap that fits supervent and it has a pest screen on it.talked to selkirk yesterday.unless there is an aftermarket universal cap I'm all ears

Before spending money on the class a pipe, you can use a piece of single wall pipe to see if the draft improves. Also make sure the cap is clean then to.

Cap is clean .maybe I will try the other cap.

My wett inspection is with double wall pipe so single wall will void my insurance

Recently replaced enviro kodiak with osburn 2300.i know its warmer out right now but had somewhat poor draft with the enviro and same with the osburn as temp was around -3 here this morning.i have 9 feet of supervent and 5 feet of doublewall.should i add another 3 feet of supervent and i guess i will need a chimney support as well ?wood is 2 year seasoned pine.
The single wall suggestion was just for a temporary test. Grab a length of warm air pipe and put it in there on a calm day. If it improves things then yes, add another 3' of chimney pipe and brace at the 5' point above the roof.

Another test is to open a nearby door or window 1". If that improves things then an outside air supply is advised.

The supervent cap is not real likely to be hurting your situation. They are very open. No screen. No restriction. In my opinion.
Let us know if you test with a temporary piece of single wall. Should be interesting.

Yes.as I live in the sticks next time I'm in town will pickup some stove pipe and report back.thanks for the replies.and to all the Canucks happy Thanksgiving and please stay safe

Reactions: moresnow
Yes.as I live in the sticks next time I'm in town will pickup some stove pipe and report back.thanks for the replies.and to all the Canucks happy Thanksgiving and please stay safe

It can even be cheap hvac duct. I have less chimney than you at just 8’ class A on top of 48” double wall. It provides plenty of draft.

How do you know you have a problem? Did you measure draft? Everything is the same temperature right now so stoves can be slow to warm up.

I know I have a problem because even with my other stove you cannot open the door to the stove without smoke billowing out at you.even when I open the bypass.i have 2 -45s at the top of my double wall going into chimney.the wood is pine seasoned for 2 years.super dry wood..I have a large tree within 20 feet.could this be an issue?

Yes, a nearby tree can affect draft. Several years back someone posted a notable improvement by cutting down the close-by tree. I would try the warm air duct pipe test with a 3 or 4ft length.

Does opening a door or window in the room an inch make any difference?

I know I have a problem because even with my other stove you cannot open the door to the stove without smoke billowing out at you.even when I open the bypass.i have 2 -45s at the top of my double wall going into chimney.the wood is pine seasoned for 2 years.super dry wood..I have a large tree within 20 feet.could this be an issue?

Don't you open the bypass for a minute or two prior to opening the stove loading door, every time? Likely you should be to establish positive draft before opening the loading door for reloading.

Even opening bypass I still get smoke back in the room.will try the stove pipe on there next week and report back

Reactions: moresnow

Smoke rollout is what lots of folks call that. Does it happen just when you’re starting a new fire or even when the stove is hot. 14’ is plenty for a noncat to not rollout unless you have something else causing a draft reversal like a dryer, fart fan, range hood, etc.

Still, won’t hurt to extend the flue.

Happens even when stove is hot.no dryer or any other things running.like I said before this has been going on for years and sets my smoke alarms off and freaks the dog out lol.gotta keep my watch dog happy .will try the pipe and let you know

Attachments

• Poor draft
    Screenshot_20200822-211138_Settings.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: Highbeam
Happens even when stove is hot.no dryer or any other things running.like I said before this has been going on for years and sets my smoke alarms off and freaks the dog out lol.gotta keep my watch dog happy .will try the pipe and let you know
We still don't know if the #2 cause of poor draft is the issue. This is when the room is a negative pressure zone. Can we presume that you have opened a nearby window a little and it made no difference?

No negative pressure.my dryer is outside in another building and I always have a bedroom window cracked 24/ 365.no bathroom fan and also never use range hood.dont see anything that will cause negative pressure.

This picture is from your owner manual minimum chimney height.

Attachments

• Poor draft
    E60E3FAD-5CAA-4F90-BE51-E0F7D54CC524.png
    273.4 KB · Views: 92
No negative pressure.my dryer is outside in another building and I always have a bedroom window cracked 24/ 365.no bathroom fan and also never use range hood.dont see anything that will cause negative pressure.
Sometimes it's just the house design vs stove location. For instance, in a 2 story home if the stove is on the first floor and an upstairs bedroom window is cracked open it can create negative pressure on the first floor. Same thing for leaky attic ceiling access doors or vents on the second-floor ceiling.

You also have two 45s which subtract from the effective length.

Did you personally verify that the cap is clean? Those stupid filters can plug up like crazy. You can just take it off to test if it’s the problem. Long term, it keeps the rain out.

You also have two 45s which subtract from the effective length.

Did you personally verify that the cap is clean? Those stupid filters can plug up like crazy. You can just take it off to test if it’s the problem. Long term, it keeps the rain out.
Yes had it off yesterday and cleaned it good.

Have you tried..

-Open bypass
- crack door, leave door cracked for at least two minutes

I had to do this at an old house of mine or smoke would roll.

Well neighbor had a 3 foot section of pipe so I put that on and it improved draft a bit but still lots of smoke rollout so just going to live with it as I have for the last 21 years with 3 different stoves.don't think those elbows are helping as well.thanks for all the suggestions and help.stay safe in these crazy times.

Reactions: Highbeam