Plumbing, removing an old compression ring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
I'm finally getting around to replacing our downstairs bathroom sink after procrastinating for a couple of months. The actual replacement is not a big deal (I hope) but shutoff valves are 40 yrs old and shot. They are compression fit on 1/2" copper in a tight location. Removing the old brass compression ring could be a hellacious job. I tried reusing them with the new valves, but the joint weeped. They are too tightly on to remove with channelocks, so a dremel tool or hacksaw cutout looked like the only options. ;hm And one was so short that the nut covered part of the compression ring meaning that I would have to be cut out first. <>

I thought about leaving the old rings in place and soldering on a new stub but that would be pretty visible. As I was picking up some 1/2" couplings I griped to the store guy and he pointed out to this tool. I tried it and voila. The compression rings were off in a minute! If you are ever in this situation, this simple tool is da bomb!

IMG_4591.jpg

Was this at a big box store?

At our local Do It Best hardware/lumber store. Model 13-2706. Looks like Amazon has it too.
Lasco Comp Puller

Reactions: EbS-P